H4 to F1 conversion

archuk

Hi All,

This is my first time on this forum, I need urgent advice please. 

Here is my situation. I am on H4 and already going to school here, completed one semester on H4 so I am desperately trying to be on F1 for Spring 2014. I just got my H4 visa extension approved this week and now I want to apply for F1 visa. I don't have enough time left for change of status (adjusting status within USA) so I am thinking to go to India and get F1 stamped in India and enter back in USA. Here are my questions -

1. Given that I have H4 approved (but not stamped), can I take F1 appointment in with consulate in India directly or do I need to get H4 stamped first?

2. What happens if I my F1 gets rejected or has any issues? will my H4 be still valid? Can I enter back in US on H4?

3. Are there any other options?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi All,

This is my first time on this forum, I need urgent advice please. 

Here is my situation. I am on H4 and already going to school here, completed one semester on H4 so I am desperately trying to be on F1 for Spring 2014. I just got my H4 visa extension approved this week and now I want to apply for F1 visa. I don't have enough time left for change of status (adjusting status within USA) so I am thinking to go to India and get F1 stamped in India and enter back in USA. Here are my questions -

1. Given that I have H4 approved (but not stamped), can I take F1 appointment in with consulate in India directly or do I need to get H4 stamped first?

2. What happens if I my F1 gets rejected or has any issues? will my H4 be still valid? Can I enter back in US on H4?

3. Are there any other options?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Yes, you can attend F1 visa interview without having H4 stamped in your passport. But, on what visa did you enter US? Just curious.

2. If your F1 is denied then you can apply and return with valid H4 visa.

Archived