H4 - F1 or on Just I-20

In 2011 my wife got admission in New York University and its a 3 years program, she studied for 1 1/2 Years on H4 and then we applied change of status from H4 to I-20 (Student Status).

After that she never been out of country, her H4 was expired and she doesnot have F1 Visa.

We are planning to go India in 2014 May, I want to know what are the possibilities that can be worked.

Currently she is on I-20(student status), can she go for H4 visa stamping instead of F1 visa?

Under the status of I-20, she needs work permit and she get OPT after the completion of her education.

The plan is after the completion of her education, she would like to go to India but she cannot go for F1 visa since her course is completed. 

We need OPT with no delays and the option to go to India. 

Please suggest on this, If this email is not clear kindly let me know.

Thanks

Raghu

In 2011 my wife got admission in New York University and its a 3 years program, she studied for 1 1/2 Years on H4 and then we applied change of status from H4 to I-20 (Student Status).

After that she never been out of country, her H4 was expired and she doesnot have F1 Visa.

We are planning to go India in 2014 May, I want to know what are the possibilities that can be worked.

Currently she is on I-20(student status), can she go for H4 visa stamping instead of F1 visa?

Under the status of I-20, she needs work permit and she get OPT after the completion of her education.

The plan is after the completion of her education, she would like to go to India but she cannot go for F1 visa since her course is completed. 

We need OPT with no delays and the option to go to India. 

Please suggest on this, If this email is not clear kindly let me know.

Thanks
Raghu

If she wants to have OPT then she needs to enter US with a valid F1 visa and not H4 visa.

What student status is "I-20" anyway? An I-20 is a document that only shows that you have been admitted at a US school and have been found to be eligible to study there full-time, on an F-1 visa. It is not in any way indicative that you can start studying on an F-1 visa, not does it imply the change of status has been initiated, accepted for review or approved. Care to rephrase your post?

Archived