Can I do scientific research at home with an H-4 visa?

andrejalobeanu

With an H4 visa, could I do scientific research at home as an unaffiliated researcher? I would not be officially with any institution, not even in a foreign country. I would do it as a hobby and therefore not receive any form of compensation: no salary, no donations, no royalties. The only benefit would be improving my resume and avoiding to interrupt in my career, so I could apply for jobs (and get a H1B) when opportunities arise. To keep it simple, It would all be self-funded (no grants). 

Research activity mainly consists of programming, distributing free / open source software, publishing scientific papers in international journals and collaborating with other researchers from US and foreign institutions; occasionally participating in meetings and workshops.   

Currently I have a J1 visa, and I work as a research scholar for a US university; the reasons for switching to H4 are off-topic. This is very likely to happen next year and I want to make sure I can continue to pursue my research activities without any significant interruption, and without breaking any law.

On some other forums most people suggest that I should refrain from doing this, because it looks like employment. Some say that it's okay as long as I'm not getting paid... What do you think?

On some other forums most people suggest that I should refrain from doing this, because it looks like employment.

That would be correct.  Employment in the U.S. with respect to a H-4 visa has nothing to do with getting paid or not.  The rule is that performing activities that are normally part of a job is employment regardless of compensation.  This restricts allowable to activities to those that are normally volunteer for everyone, e.g. helping at a church.

All the scientific research activities you mentioned ("programming, distributing free / open source software, publishing scientific papers in international journals and collaborating with other researchers from US and foreign institutions; occasionally participating in meetings and workshops") do not just look like employment, they would definitely be considered employment.  Doing this scientific research on a H-4 visa, whether at home or anywhere else in the U.S., would be considered illegal unauthorized employment regardless of getting paid or not.

Archived