travel to mexico (San Diego Border) for a ne I 94 after H1B Petiion filed in CP

madhu418

Hello all,

I have read some threads about renewing I 94 at Otay,Mesa (San diego and Mexician border). Recently, I did not see any individuals posting their experineces in getting a new/renewal I 94. Please update any info you have and recent process changes at this POE.

I am currently working based on a recipet and my new employer filed for H1B as CP stating that he did not want to do Bridge petitions. Currently, i am not sure if I have to visit Mexico to get a new I 94 or go to Jamaica. Please suggest what might be best way to exit and enter. I currently live in MI but the new job location is in Bay Area, CA. 

Also, please verify if the follwoing info is correct.

1) travel by foot across the Otay, Mesa border doesnt require a Mexico visitor Visa and the process to get a new I 94  varies from 2 to 5 Hrs.

2) If, travelling to Mexico via air, then do we need a visa to enter Mexico, if I have no intentions of staying in Mexico for more than a day or I have a flight booked for later that day back to US.

• 4 weeks later...

hello All,

My experience visiting mexico for getting a new I 94 bcoz my petition for H1B transfer was applied in consular process.

I was there on Dec 11th 2013. at 9 am on the parking lot opposite to burger king, san yasidro, CA. i parked my car there for $8 a day.

I wasnt sure how to go out of country but asked few people there and they directed me towards the double rolling gates. once i got out of those gate after stepping out of the building, I took a right and saw a huge line for people entering US. i went straight to the US entrance building gate and told security that i need a new I 94 and they directed to the office. there was no waiting inside.

you have to pay for I 94 as soon as you enter into this building (at least the note says so and I did). i then went to IO officer and he asked why i was here (after checking my current I 94 which expires on oct 10 2015), I told him that I am here to get a new I 94 to be able to work for new employer. He said okay and then asked me name of company, what they do and will I be considered electrical or electronics engineer. we had a pleasant chat talking about the confusion that university degrees create between electrical and electronic engineers. he issued me I 94 and I was all set to go. he gave I 94 valid date until Nov 2016 based on my H1B approval.

I was able to get back in line and be in Us by 9:44 AM on wednesday. 

I later found out that my last name has been printed twice on I 94 and went for correct on 12/12/13 at 630 sansome st, san Francisco, ca. 

The officer correcting my name took some time to verify if my visa and passport are genuine bcoz i mentioned that i went to mexico border to get a new I 94 to be able to work for my new employer. 

overall my experience was very friendly and all officers I met during this process were knowledgeable and helpful.

• 7 months later...

hello All,

My experience visiting mexico for getting a new I 94 bcoz my petition for H1B transfer was applied in consular process.

I was there on Dec 11th 2013. at 9 am on the parking lot opposite to burger king, san yasidro, CA. i parked my car there for $8 a day.

I wasnt sure how to go out of country but asked few people there and they directed me towards the double rolling gates. once i got out of those gate after stepping out of the building, I took a right and saw a huge line for people entering US. i went straight to the US entrance building gate and told security that i need a new I 94 and they directed to the office. there was no waiting inside.

you have to pay for I 94 as soon as you enter into this building (at least the note says so and I did). i then went to IO officer and he asked why i was here (after checking my current I 94 which expires on oct 10 2015), I told him that I am here to get a new I 94 to be able to work for new employer. He said okay and then asked me name of company, what they do and will I be considered electrical or electronics engineer. we had a pleasant chat talking about the confusion that university degrees create between electrical and electronic engineers. he issued me I 94 and I was all set to go. he gave I 94 valid date until Nov 2016 based on my H1B approval.

I was able to get back in line and be in Us by 9:44 AM on wednesday. 

I later found out that my last name has been printed twice on I 94 and went for correct on 12/12/13 at 630 sansome st, san Francisco, ca. 

The officer correcting my name took some time to verify if my visa and passport are genuine bcoz i mentioned that i went to mexico border to get a new I 94 to be able to work for my new employer. 

overall my experience was very friendly and all officers I met during this process were knowledgeable and helpful.

Hi venki418,

May I ask you, how did you go to 630 Sansome st, San Francisco to correct your i94? I tired to visit them this morning and I was told it is by appointment only.. And I can't find a place form online to make an appointment.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Alex.

Archived