Really need some help on this one

Ish

Hey Everybody

I am a B.Tech Computer Science and MBA Marketing graduate. I am planning on joining an Academic year certificate program in IT in California. Now could you please tell me:   1)whether I will be eligible for an OPT ? What is the minimum requirement in a course for an OPT?

2) Will I be eligible for H1 visa after my OPT if I manage to land a job?

3) Could you also be kind enough to suggest some courses in universities in the silicon valley area ?

I know some of these questions might have been answered before but am realy confused at the moment and any clarity on these questions would be highly appreciated.

I am a B.Tech Computer Science and MBA Marketing graduate. I am planning on joining an Academic year certificate program in IT in California. Now could you please tell me:   1)whether I will be eligible for an OPT ? What is the minimum requirement in a course for an OPT?

2) Will I be eligible for H1 visa after my OPT if I manage to land a job?

3) Could you also be kind enough to suggest some courses in universities in the silicon valley area ?

What is your current status??

1.OPT is for F1 students who got degree from a university. Not for certification programs

2. H1 depends on what type of job you find

A certificate program does not qualify for OPT employment authorization. Only full Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees from accredited U.S. universities / colleges qualify for OPT employment authorization. Also you can only get OPT employment authorization once per degree level. A H-1B visa requires a degree or a recognized credential evaluation based on your education and experience in a related field.

Hey thanks a lot rahul412 and t75. I appreciate your help. I was planning on studyin there for an IT course/degree as I have not worked in IT since my MBA. I have a few engineering classmates working in the ************ *********** and they suggested me to go for MS but I was thinking more on the lines of a one year certificate program with OPT or an Associate Degree from a Community college. These programs are cheaper than an MS and shorter in duration. Do you know if an Associate degree in IT would fall under the STEM extension for OPT ?

Hey thanks a lot rahul412 and t75. I appreciate your help. I was planning on studyin there for an IT course/degree as I have not worked in IT since my MBA. I have a few engineering classmates working in the ************ *********** and they suggested me to go for MS but I was thinking more on the lines of a one year certificate program with OPT or an Associate Degree from a Community college. These programs are cheaper than an MS and shorter in duration. Do you know if an Associate degree in IT would fall under the STEM extension for OPT ?

I don't have much knowledge on Associate Degree. But before you take any action make sure that it won't create problems in future.

Archived