Need to change to cpt as opt ends soon.

strider_31

Hi,

So my OPT ends in Feb 2014. And I've been suggested by my employers to start a university from Jan so that I can continue working on CPT till my H1B gets filed. 

I am currently looking for universities and could use help since I've been reading a lot of uscis issues related to colleges as ***, ************University, *******. 

Goldy Beacom offers CPT too and is apparently accredited. Could use help regarding this issue and how to extend my visa.

Thank you.

What your employer is suggesting and you are considering is ILLEGAL! Going to university / college to get CPT employment authorization so you can "extend your visa" and continue to work is and abuse of the immigration system, a violation of immigration laws, regulations, and rules, and fraud! That is why there are USCIS issues with universities / colleges that advertise / promote CPT, especially when available upon starting at the school. If you choose the suggested and considered path of CPT be prepared to face the consequences up to and including deportation and an entry ban.

The reality is that you attended a U.S. university / college, earned a degree, and had the opportunity work on OPT employment authorization. At that point your options are to find a job with an employer who will petition for a H-1B visa or return to your home country. Remember on a F-1 visa you stated that you would be returning to your home country upon completing school.

So my OPT ends in Feb 2014. And I've been suggested by my employers to start a university from Jan so that I can continue working on CPT till my H1B gets filed. 

I am currently looking for universities and could use help since I've been reading a lot of uscis issues related to colleges as ***, ************University, *******.  

Goldy Beacom offers CPT too and is apparently accredited. Could use help regarding this issue and how to extend my visa.

what kind of employer is he?? Does he even know what CPT is for??

Dude, if you want to kill your future then go for CPT. No school in US will give you CPT from day one and CPT is not for FTE, so forget CPT.

My adivce, better find another employer who gives valuable suggestions.

I had one more question about something I was suggested.

That since my Opt ends in mid Feb, so if i start a proper good univ in jan. and finish in a year. then I can use the rest of my one month OPT at the end with a STEM extension IF my current course falls under the STEM category. Is this correct? 

why don't you ask to some experienced immigration attorney or your current schools DSO to find out if you can engage in CPT under given circumstances. Take their advise not from the people of this forum because not a single advise I had from this forum has been helpful and has applied in my case. They just give their opinions based on 1-2 examples but they don't know the real reason behind that.

I have seen 1000s of student using CPT and having H1-B, green cards, and citizenship approved without any problem. Also, based on this forum I have seen few students having issues but we don't know the real background of these students who were having issues. In most of the cases, they were in unaccredited, private for-profit university and wanted to apply H1-B based on that degree.

So best course of action is to talk with experienced immigration attorney, or DSO of your current school, not on this forum where bunch of people give their opinions based on some rumors and incomplete story heard from the friend of their friend of their friend.

That since my Opt ends in mid Feb, so if i start a proper good univ in jan. and finish in a year. then I can use the rest of my one month OPT at the end with a STEM extension IF my current course falls under the STEM category. Is this correct? 

No OPT for second master's degree.

Only one OPT for master's degree no matter how many degrees you have.

I have seen 1000s of student using CPT and having H1-B, green cards, and citizenship approved without any problem.

That was once upon a time. Now a days people are getting RFE's even if their is minor error in the applications.

What you have said is also right, but do not take anytime for granted w.r.t immigration. Just follow the rules.

why don't you ask to some experienced immigration attorney or your current schools DSO to find out if you can engage in CPT under given circumstances. Take their advise not from the people of this forum because not a single advise I had from this forum has been helpful and has applied in my case. They just give their opinions based on 1-2 examples but they don't know the real reason behind that.

I have seen 1000s of student using CPT and having H1-B, green cards, and citizenship approved without any problem. Also, based on this forum I have seen few students having issues but we don't know the real background of these students who were having issues. In most of the cases, they were in unaccredited, private for-profit university and wanted to apply H1-B based on that degree.

So best course of action is to talk with experienced immigration attorney, or DSO of your current school, not on this forum where bunch of people give their opinions based on some rumors and incomplete story heard from the friend of their friend of their friend.

What happened in the past is irrelevant. It is YOU who is spreading baseless rumors.

Frauds like TVU, ******* **** killed CPT.

Nowadays, CPT is a read flag, and WILL kill the career in the US.

Have you not heard of people getting ankle bracelets???

Geez.

Once you have used OPT, you can only get another OPT for a higher degree.

Archived