Valid H1B: Cannot Issue ssn, DHS is unable to verify immigration document

sandeepkumar08

I have a valid work Auth (H1B) starting 1st Oct 2013 but my name on passport and I797/94 is reversed because of no last name on passport:

Passport:

Given Name: XXXX YYYYY

Last Name/Surname: blank

I797/I94

Given Name: No Name Given

Last Name/Family Name: XXXX YYYYY

When I applied to social security card I was told by officer that this might take longer than expected because of the reversed name and will go to DHS.

After 2 weeks I get a letter saying we cannot issue you a social security card at this time because:

The Department of Homeland Security is unable to verify the immigration document you submitted as evidence of your lawful alien Status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status.

I am not sure what could the problem here, any help would be really appreciated.

I have a valid work Auth (H1B) starting 1st Oct 2013 but my name on passport and I797/94 is reversed because of no last name on passport:

Passport:

Given Name: XXXX YYYYY

Last Name/Surname: blank

I797/I94

Given Name: No Name Given

Last Name/Family Name: XXXX YYYYY

When I applied to social security card I was told by officer that this might take longer than expected because of the reversed name and will go to DHS.

After 2 weeks I get a letter saying we cannot issue you a social security card at this time because:

The Department of Homeland Security is unable to verify the immigration document you submitted as evidence of your lawful alien Status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status.

I am not sure what could the problem here, any help would be really appreciated.

You need to get your name changed in your I797 and I94.

Hi,

You may take appointment for local USCIS and check with them if they can help to modify the name as appear in passport.

As long as it is an error committed by USCIS they would do it with no questioning. I am not sure whether you can take an appointment and visit an USCIS office. Talk to your attorney. I believe your attorney could request this.

Archived