Change of Employer - Health Insurance

sri1923

Hi,

I've recently changed my employer. My health insurance with my previous employer ended on Sep 24th and my health insurance with my new employer is going to start on Nov 1st. I've COBRA option from my previous employer but I haven't enrolled into it. As I did not have health insurance for the period 09/25 - 10/31, is that considered as illegal and would it causes any issues down the road?

Any response is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Srini

Hi,

I've recently changed my employer. My health insurance with my previous employer ended on Sep 24th and my health insurance with my new employer is going to start on Nov 1st. I've COBRA option from my previous employer but I haven't enrolled into it. As I did not have health insurance for the period 09/25 - 10/31, is that considered as illegal and would it causes any issues down the road?

Any response is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Srini

Nope. You are fine.

• 1 month later...

You won’t get into trouble with the law but you may get into trouble if you are ill or you get into an accident. You can get short-term health insurance cover for gaps like this – temporary medical insurance prevents you from remaining uncovered for several months, and gives you the benefits you would get from your employer insurance. Take a look at this post  for more details on temporary health insurance.

Archived