URGENT !! Dad's Visitor Visa Extension

astroguru

Hi friends,

I've a difficult and tricky situation. My Dad has a 10yr multiple-entry visitor visa and has visited me several times in past few years. Currently, he is in the US visiting me, and his I-94 is expiring in Nov'13. 

While in the US, he has applied for a canada Visa (grand parent super visa) in July to visit my brother in Canada, hoping that we will receive the visa by that time. However, we have not yet received the passport back from Canada embassy. A month ago, canadian embassy had requested for medical examination that we have done and submitted back almost a month ago. I'm following up with them, however didn't receive any response yet.

Without passport, my Dad can't travel outside the US :( !!

Please suggest and recommend what should we do now ? Shall we :

1. Go to Canada Embassy, and request for passport back - cancelling the Visa process we applied for ?
  2. Is it possible to file for Extension of Stay from US, and wait for Canada to respond back ?
  3. What are the chances / implications with the Extension of Stay ? Will he be considered out of status ? 
  4. Will there be any future implications with his travel back to US ?

Thanks and I really appreciate your timely feedback !

Thanks.

Hi friends,

I've a difficult and tricky situation. My Dad has a 10yr multiple-entry visitor visa and has visited me several times in past few years. Currently, he is in the US visiting me, and his I-94 is expiring in Nov'13. 

While in the US, he has applied for a canada Visa (grand parent super visa) in July to visit my brother in Canada, hoping that we will receive the visa by that time. However, we have not yet received the passport back from Canada embassy. A month ago, canadian embassy had requested for medical examination that we have done and submitted back almost a month ago. I'm following up with them, however didn't receive any response yet.

Without passport, my Dad can't travel outside the US :( !!

Please suggest and recommend what should we do now ? Shall we :

1. Go to Canada Embassy, and request for passport back - cancelling the Visa process we applied for ?
  2. Is it possible to file for Extension of Stay from US, and wait for Canada to respond back ?
  3. What are the chances / implications with the Extension of Stay ? Will he be considered out of status ? 
  4. Will there be any future implications with his travel back to US ?

Thanks and I really appreciate your timely feedback !

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. Yes, he can. But, mostly it would be denied

3. If he returns before a decision on extension of status is taken by USCIS then no problem.

4. If he leaves after denial of extension of status his visitor visa will be no longer valid

Archived