Travel while H1B extension is still pending

geekforu

Hi,

My H1B visa stamp expired on Oct 13 2013 and my I-94 expired on Oct 20, 2013. My H1B extension petition was filed with USCIS on May 24 2013 and status is still "Initial Review"

I need to travel to India during Nov last week and return in Dec last week. My employer will not do premium processing.

In such a scenario, can I travel outside USA and wait till my extension peition is approved, then get my  new visa stamped and then return to USA ?

Hi,

My H1B visa stamp expired on Oct 13 2013 and my I-94 expired on Oct 20, 2013. My H1B extension petition was filed with USCIS on May 24 2013 and status is still "Initial Review"

I need to travel to India during Nov last week and return in Dec last week. My employer will not do premium processing.

In such a scenario, can I travel outside USA and wait till my extension peition is approved, then get my  new visa stamped and then return to USA ?

Yes, you can.

Thank you. So I understand that leaving the USA with expired I-94 will not be a problem ? Please confirm

Also I got to see in some other posts in this forum that leaving USA during 240 day grace period would make USCIS abandon my H1B extension application ? Is that true ?

There is no problem leaving the U.S. with an expired I-94 card.

Leaving the U.S. after your current H visa and I-94 card have expired and before a filed H visa extension petition has been approved (while you are in the 240 day period of authorized employment and stay) will not abandon your H visa extension petition. (I thought that was the case, but have since found out that it is not true.) What will happen is that you will not be able to return to the U.S. until the H visa extension has been approved and you receive the original I-797 A or B.

Archived