F2 to F1 conversion

Myd

I came to the US recently with F2 visa. My husband is on F1 OPT and is working now in the US. I applied for Masters and got an admission to a university for which classes start in Spring. Now for the conversion from F2 to F1, I have three options.

1. Change status here in the US (this will take more than 2 months. So I may not get my F1 by the time classes start. - this option is risky)

2. Apply for F1 in India

3. Appy for F1 in Mexico/Canada

Can anyone tell me the best option between option2 and option3? Also, if I go to Mexico how much time will it take for the processing? I want to know the duration of my stay in Mexico, if I apply there.

Thanks!

I came to the US recently with F2 visa. My husband is on F1 OPT and is working now in the US. I applied for Masters and got an admission to a university for which classes start in Spring. Now for the conversion from F2 to F1, I have three options.

1. Change status here in the US (this will take more than 2 months. So I may not get my F1 by the time classes start. - this option is risky)

2. Apply for F1 in India

3. Appy for F1 in Mexico/Canada

Can anyone tell me the best option between option2 and option3? Also, if I go to Mexico how much time will it take for the processing? I want to know the duration of my stay in Mexico, if I apply there.

Thanks!

Best option is 2 as you will not be eligible for Mexico and Canada to get visa stamping.

• 9 months later...

Would Option 1 be to apply I539 Change of status? Is there any other form to follow option 1?

If the OP is in US on F2   in MA  and wants to apply for another University in TX, can he do that with the change of status?

1. Yes, it is form I-539 along with supporting documents and fee. It will take 3 to 4 months for approval based on current processing time.

2. Yes.

Archived