How to apply H4 Visa

vyasnims

I'm in H1-B and need to change status to H-4. Should I file the change of status to H-4 on the last working day on H1-B, Does my status become H-4 once the application for COS reaches USCIS. Please guide me with the H-4 status change process.

Regards,

Nims

You need to file I539 form with supporting documents. You need to apply a week to two before your last working day on H1B. Once a receipt notice is obtained from USCIS your application is considered under processing. It would take 2.5 months to get an approval.

Currently my husband is on H-1 and I will filing the I-539 form for myself for COS to H-4 . Few questions related to filling the I-539 form  -

1. I-94 number  - Should I give the I-94 number which I got when I entered USA or the I-94 received with my H-1 

2. Is this application based on extension or COS already granted to your spouse  - Should it be No/Yes

3.Is this application based on a separate petition or application to give your spouse an extension or change of status - No , Yes filed with this I-539 .

kindly help with the answers to the questions above.

Archived