H4 to J-1 Visa and 2 Year Physical Presence in India

polka.nj

I am a citizen of India living in US, currently in H-4 visa and in the process of obtaining J-1 visa. I have the following questions If the J-1 visa is approved.

1. Do I have to travel back to India and stay for 2 years EVEN in case if I quit the job contract before it reached its end. Lets assume, the paperwork says I have to go back to India after the contract ended.

2. Do I have to travel back to India and stay for 2 years in case if the program ends, say 1 year contract.

3. I have applied for immigration to Canada. Can I move permanently to Canada after the Job contract ends or after quitting the contract in 6-7 months.

4. Do I have to go to India for getting the J-1 visa stamped or I can continue to work from here without visiting India and get the J-1 visa stamped.

Your answers are highly appreciated. Please let me know. Thank you.

Best,

Polka.NJ

I am a citizen of India living in US, currently in H-4 visa and in the process of obtaining J-1 visa. I have the following questions If the J-1 visa is approved.

1. Do I have to travel back to India and stay for 2 years EVEN in case if I quit the job contract before it reached its end. Lets assume, the paperwork says I have to go back to India after the contract ended.

2. Do I have to travel back to India and stay for 2 years in case if the program ends, say 1 year contract.

3. I have applied for immigration to Canada. Can I move permanently to Canada after the Job contract ends or after quitting the contract in 6-7 months.

4. Do I have to go to India for getting the J-1 visa stamped or I can continue to work from here without visiting India and get the J-1 visa stamped.

Your answers are highly appreciated. Please let me know. Thank you.

Best,

Polka.NJ

1. Yes

2. Yes.

3. Yes

4. If you apply for a change of status then as long as you are in US J1 visa stamping is not required.

Alternatively you could apply for a J1 waiver for the 2 years home residency requirement in India.

Archived