I-539 filing - COS H1B to H4

4color

Dear all, I am filing form I-539 for change of status from H1B (expires 11/07/2013) to H4, on the basis of my wife's H1B (already approved, expires 03/20/2014). I would greatly appreciate your insight on the following 3 questions:

1. I am completing I-539 myself, since I will be the dependent. Should my wife be filling it instead, as the principal visa holder?
  2. On I-539, Part 3, Point # 2, "Is this application based on an extension or change of status already granted to your spouse, child, or parent?", I checked "Yes" and entered my wife's H1B receipt number. Is this the right way in my case?
  3. Mailing address: Since my wife's H1B is already approved, my understanding is that I will be considered "a dependent filing form I-539 for a change of status separately from the principal's application". In that case, the guidelines say that I should send the I-539 with supporting documents to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility, and not California (I live in Colorado). Please let me know if this is correct, or whether there is any aspect that requires me to send the application to California office.

Many thanks for taking time in reading this. I sincerely appreciate your knowledge.

Dear all, I am filing form I-539 for change of status from H1B (expires 11/07/2013) to H4, on the basis of my wife's H1B (already approved, expires 03/20/2014). I would greatly appreciate your insight on the following 3 questions:

1. I am completing I-539 myself, since I will be the dependent. Should my wife be filling it instead, as the principal visa holder?
  2. On I-539, Part 3, Point # 2, "Is this application based on an extension or change of status already granted to your spouse, child, or parent?", I checked "Yes" and entered my wife's H1B receipt number. Is this the right way in my case?
  3. Mailing address: Since my wife's H1B is already approved, my understanding is that I will be considered "a dependent filing form I-539 for a change of status separately from the principal's application". In that case, the guidelines say that I should send the I-539 with supporting documents to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility, and not California (I live in Colorado). Please let me know if this is correct, or whether there is any aspect that requires me to send the application to California office.

Many thanks for taking time in reading this. I sincerely appreciate your knowledge.

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Dallas lockbox facility is correct.

Archived