Married US Citizen - Have a question as i am currently on H1B and need to travel to India in January?

Recommended Posts


I married my wife(US Citizen) in July of 2011 while i am still under H1B, my H1B visa runs till end of 2012 before it expires. I have not filed for my GC though my wife as of yet and I found out a week ago that due to family commitments i need to travel to India in Mid-January.

I have a problem, my current stamp on my passport expired in Sep 30, 2009 but i do have a valid updated I-797 that expires in Dec 2012. So in lieu of the above information, i have some questions.

1) How do i(or my wife) go about filing for my green card? I am already here.. so i guess i do not have an immigrant visa.

2) Since i heard it takes 5-6 months to receive

my Green Card. How is it possible for me to travel to India without any issues in January?

3) Will i get any receipt that i can show that my GC is under process? If no, will have to update my H1B visa stamp in India? I understand that there is always a risk when i do that.

Please help me. I am unsure what the next steps are or whether it is even feasible for me travel to India in January since my stamp is expired.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.