Engineering Vs Engineering Technology

I have a MS degree in a Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET). I have worked for 3 years in the same (MET) field. The current position I am in  is titled "mechanical engineer". I found a position with a company ("position is mechanical engineer") who wants to hire me and apply for GC but the requirements for the position are an MS in Mech. Engineering degree + 2 years. The job functions I am currently performing are almost identical to the new job. My future employer thinks I am a perfect match.

So I am thinking I have the 2 years but I am not sure about the degree. I contacted couple of lawyers and one said  that I could and one said I could not.

I have an bachelors engineering degree but dont have the required 5 years. Has anyone seen similar case ? any suggestions ? I would appreciate any responses. 

Engineering technology and engineering are NOT equivalent degrees in the US. MET is less academically intensive than ME; it is more practical than theoretical.  They are accredited to different standards.

Perhaps the job requirement is improperly stated.  Most companies do not come into contact with ET degrees.

Archived