Government Shutdown and consular service processing times

vkgurram

hello there,

I was just reading the effects of government shutdown on different services and here is what I found in NBC

"

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

The State Department could continue processing foreign applications for visas and U.S. applications for passports, since fees are collected to finance those services. Embassies and consulates overseas would continue to provide services to American citizens.

"

I'm just wondering what effect it would have on any administrative processing? Did anyone talk to their attorneys about this?

Thanks

vk.

I'm just wondering what effect it would have on any administrative processing? Did anyone talk to their attorneys about this?

Just yesterday I heard this on CNN, which states that the visa services will be reduced which means instead of 100 applications a day consulate will process less than 100 since some of the staff will be on furlough

I think the checking they need to do for administrative processing is done by several services appointed by th Dept of State at Washington DC, which will have a lot of furloughed employees. I just have no idea. Acording to reports, during the last shutdown, 20000 to 30000 visas went unprocessed every day.

So you guys are under administrative processing as well?

Just had my interview TODAY (9/30) in Toronto, and got some real information. After hearing the golden words ("visa approved"), I asked the VO if the potential shutdown would affect the stamping and mailing / LOOMIS procedure. He said:

"We have emergency funds that are supposed to last upto one year in case we lose funding. So we won't be ********** by this shutdown, at least for the next few months."

his words, not mine. Just thought I'd share.

Everything else was smooth, exactly as described in previous posts.

Just had my interview TODAY (9/30) in Toronto, and got some real information. After hearing the golden words ("visa approved"), I asked the VO if the potential shutdown would affect the stamping and mailing / LOOMIS procedure. He said:

"We have emergency funds that are supposed to last upto one year in case we lose funding. So we won't be ********* by this shutdown, at least for the next few months."

Wow...thats serious.

Hello there,

I do have a visa appointment on 7/8 - Oct - 2013.  Will they be processing H1b visa interview ? I am confused on American citizens mention on the statement - "Embassies and consulates overseas would continue to provide services to American citizens"

Thanks,

Sakthi

That means they provide full services to the citizens who are currently outside the US. Since they didn't mentioned about the services for the non USC, not sure whether they will continue to provide full services or not.

This shutdown happened after 17 yrs and things changed during these  17 yrs. Not sure what impact does it has on immigration.

"We have emergency funds that are supposed to last upto one year in case we lose funding. So we won't be f*cked by this shutdown, at least for the next few months."

Thank you very much for the information . 

I am also in same boat.  Can i go to india to get new H1B Stamping done in Chennai ? It was mentioned in  Chennai US consulate web site as "

• The Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas. These activities are fee-funded and are not affected by the lapse in appropriations.".  Please help.

I am also in same boat.  Can i go to india to get new H1B Stamping done in Chennai ? It was mentioned in  Chennai US consulate web site as "

• The Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas. These activities are fee-funded and are not affected by the lapse in appropriations.".  Please help.

you have the info with you..then why ask? ofcourse you wont have any issues and you can definitely go to Chennai for visa stamping.

Archived