OPT for Technical Certificate program

tri2013

Hi

About five years ago I worked in the US with OPT status after completing a one year office administration certificate program. After that I left the US and have been living in Canada.

I got an F-1 again and am coming back to the US in January 2014 to study for a one year technical certificate in Geographic Information Systems at a community college. Can I get an OPT after completing this program? 

Hi

About five years ago I worked in the US with OPT status after completing a one year office administration certificate program. After that I left the US and have been living in Canada.

I got an F-1 again and am coming back to the US in January 2014 to study for a one year technical certificate in Geographic Information Systems at a community college. Can I get an OPT after completing this program? 

Nope. A new OPT could be granted only if you do a higher program.

catx is right. An associate degree qualifies for an opt, and so did my previous one year certificate program. I got an OPT and worked for a year before moving to Canada.

I have one more question: if I complete my current certificate program in May and transfer to a university for Fall, will I still be in status (because I wont be enrolled from May - August when the new program starts)?

Archived