Mother-in-law extension of I94

sss1234

My  Mother-in-law is visiting us to help with our pregnancy (Due Date in Nov). Today she landed at Chicago airport. At the port of Entry they had marked in her I-94 that her date of return is Nov 19 with comments as NO DOS / NO AOS / NO EOS.

Background of Previous visits :-

She and her Husband had visited us last year (Left India on Sep 30,2012 and returned to India on Oct 30, 2012). Early this year when we knew that we were going to have baby, my wife had difficulty during her first trimester, so we requested our Mother In law to help her. She left India on May 19 /reached USA on May 20th (in her I94 they had marked Nov 19th 2013 as the validity of I-94 during that visit), She left USA on July 29th 2013 and reached India on July 30, 2013.

She returned to India because there were errands back home that had to be taken care of.

At this time we are very much concerned about few things

• Since we need the Mother-in-law during / post-delivery for Moral support and general assistance is there an opportunity to extend her stay atleast until end of this year to help with pregnancy and post-delivery of the baby.
    • If so, what should be done
  • What are the chances for extension in this situation
  • Does approaching the local CBP office
  • Does approaching the Local state counselor help

Please advise.

Their should be a very strong reason for EOS like health issues, but with this reason (pregnancy) it doesn't make a strong case since it won't stop happening.

To be frank, what your MIL will be doing is not allowed to do on visiting visa.

I completely agree with rahul412 that there is no strong reason for requesting EOS.

First of all your MIL had visited US so frequently which made immigration officer suspicious and then she took a short break and returned to US. Nothing could be done. Ask your parents to come immediately after your in-laws leave, if your wife needs support.

My  Mother-in-law is visiting us to help with our pregnancy (Due Date in Nov). Today she landed at Chicago airport. At the port of Entry they had marked in her I-94 that her date of return is Nov 19 with comments as NO DOS / NO AOS / NO EOS.

Helping with the pregnancy is not allowed for visitors.

That is considered work.

The officer obviously suspected this stuff, and that's why an EOS is not going to be possible.

If you need help during the delivery time frame, you would need to hire somebody who has work authorization.

Will it be possible to approach the CBP office with the reasons stating that there are religious events that will occur later this year and on those grounds request for a temporary extension ...

They know about the pregnancy stuff.

Now trying to switch gears will not work. That would just look like a lie.

She has to leave before the I-94 expires. There is NO way around that.

If you need help in the household during the delivery, you need to hire an American household help.

Will it be possible to approach the CBP office with the reasons stating that there are religious events that will occur later this year and on those grounds request for a temporary extension ...

You need to show the proof for that. And I guess approaching CBP will not do anything since they didn't do anything wrong to fix it.

Archived