H4 or F1

bkbk007

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and my husband has his I-140 approved. I am planning to enroll into a Master's program.

1. If I change to F-1, does it affect the green card process? How do we file our taxes? Will we still get a tax exemption for dependent?

2. Is it wise for her to continue on H4 and take the course or is it better to change to F1?

3. What are the scholarship options? Is there any chance I can get a loan?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and my husband has his I-140 approved. I am planning to enroll into a Master's program.

1. If I change to F-1, does it affect the green card process? How do we file our taxes? Will we still get a tax exemption for dependent?

2. Is it wise for her to continue on H4 and take the course or is it better to change to F1?

3. What are the scholarship options? Is there any chance I can get a loan?

Thanks for your time.

(1) It is your husband who has I140 approved and not you. It will not affect GC. File together.

(2) With H4 she will not get OPT though she might be eligible for in state tuition fee. On F1 she could get OPT but she has to pay international student fee. I know people who join with H4 and later based on requirements to get OPT apply for a COS from H4 to F1 (not sure how many semesters to be on F1 status to get OPT).

(3) Contact international student office. I believe there are education loans available but not sure the restrictions.

Archived