Rs 5 lakh surety bond for statement of need?

nysa2013

Hi,

I am on J1 visa and doing my fellowship in USA. Indian health ministry has started a new rule to submit Surety bond of 5 Lack Indian Rupee for statement of need. Does anyone know - if this bond is required by US Consulate/Embassy also ? I am going to India soon. I already have DS-2019 for this year and statement of need. I do not have a bond though. I will be stuck in India forever, if US Consulate ask for the bond. Does anyone know ?

Thanks

Hi,

I am on J1 visa and doing my fellowship in USA. Indian health ministry has started a new rule to submit Surety bond of 5 Lack Indian Rupee for statement of need. Does anyone know - if this bond is required by US Consulate/Embassy also ? I am going to India soon. I already have DS-2019 for this year and statement of need. I do not have a bond though. I will be stuck in India forever, if US Consulate ask for the bond. Does anyone know ?

Thanks

It was a proposal. I am not sure it became a law. Check with a good immigration attorney.

Thanks for your input. I am pretty sure it is a confirmed law now and no more a proposal. 

I know that for a J1 waiver for physicians they need to get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from Indian authorities. The proposal was when on J1 you have to execute a 5 lakh bond with Indian authorities and not with US consulates. Only when you pay this bond you will be able to get a NOC from India to submit to DOS and USCIS to get a J1 waiver.

It is better to get an advisory opinion from DOS to check whether yo are subject to 212(e). Mostly you will be. Then consult a good attorney.

I know that for a J1 waiver for physicians they need to get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from Indian authorities. The proposal was when on J1 you have to execute a 5 lakh bond with Indian authorities and not with US consulates. Only when you pay this bond you will be able to get a NOC from India to submit to DOS and USCIS to get a J1 waiver.

It is better to get an advisory opinion from DOS to check whether yo are subject to 212(e). Mostly you will be. Then consult a good attorney.

I am sorry, what I said is partly correct. Yes, there is a bond of 5 lakh rupees with Indian authorities. I am not sure about the formalities. Contact an attorney from murthy law firm to get specific advice for your situation. And, do update about it in this forum.

Archived