H1 -> F1 -> OPT -> H1 possible?

ready2go

I am on my second H1 B that would expire in Nov, 2014. My current employer has started the perm process for me since more than a year but, the immigration law firm is so pathetic that they haven't been able to complete the PERM wage determination process yet. 

I also started full time masters studies from this fall - September 2013. 

Looking at the speed of my company's immigration firm, it looks like, I won't get my 140 approved before Nov 2014 (when my last H1B expires). I am thinking of quitting my job, getting an F1 visa from spring semester and using this last year of H1B at my new job after I complete my studies.

1) First of all, is there any chance I might get 140 approved by Nov 2014? Approximately how long does it take to reach that stage in a PERM process these days?

2) Assuming I have to get F1 status from spring semester (starting Jan, 2014), when should I apply for COS (change of status)?

3) Will I be able to get benefit of OPT and STEM extension? Will using OPT/STEM deduct time from my remaining H1 B duration?

4) How do I utilize my remaining year of H1 B? Is it going to be a COS from OPT -> H1 B again or I'll be subject to cap? 

5) Can an employer file PERM case for me while I am working with them on OPT (that way getting enough time to have 140 approved to extend my H1B)? 

Thanks in advance,

LM.

Sep 12, 2013.

Thanks Rahul for responding. I am planning to take the F1 route so that I have more time through OPT/STEM extension in order to apply for GC.

If an I-140 is filed, it is pretty much impossible to get an F1.

The reason is that an I-140 shows that you have immigration intent, which isn't allowed for an F1.

Archived