Delayed COS from F2 to F1.

cosf2tof1June2013

My change of status from F2 to F1 got approved today. However, my college has already started and they have notified me that they will be deferring my application to the Spring 2014 semester. We are still waiting on the official 797 approval form from USCIS which will have the start date for my new status on F1 visa. However, I have a few questions about my status.

1) If the approval notice says the start date is August 2013 but the college refuses me to register for classes in Fall 2013, does it have any impact on my F1 visa. If so, what can I do to stay in legal status until the Spring 2014 semester when I will be allowed to register for classes.

2) If my admission is deferred, do I have to file a COS again.

3) My F2 visa is expiring at the end of this month. So, if the college defers my status how do I maintain legal status from the next month onwards till the start of the Spring 2014 semester. 

Thanks a lot for your help.

My change of status from F2 to F1 got approved today. However, my college has already started and they have notified me that they will be deferring my application to the Spring 2014 semester. We are still waiting on the official 797 approval form from USCIS which will have the start date for my new status on F1 visa. However, I have a few questions about my status.

1) If the approval notice says the start date is August 2013 but the college refuses me to register for classes in Fall 2013, does it have any impact on my F1 visa. If so, what can I do to stay in legal status until the Spring 2014 semester when I will be allowed to register for classes.

2) If my admission is deferred, do I have to file a COS again.

3) My F2 visa is expiring at the end of this month. So, if the college defers my status how do I maintain legal status from the next month onwards till the start of the Spring 2014 semester. 

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you or your college decide to defer your admission to spring 2014 then you need to apply for a COS to F2 and later when you have to join school apply for a COS to F1. A good option is to go back to your home country and enter during spring semester with a valid F1 visa.

Archived