Master's Degree in Electrical Enginnering, but working in IT

vishchakri

I did my master's in Electrical Engineering (completed in 2008), currently working as fulltime developer in American IT company. Planning to visit Vancouver, Canada for H1 B stamping.

Can anyone tell me, will it be an issue for H1 stamping (with non CS major) ?

Yes, you will have as your master's degree is nowhere related to your work. Would you be able to justify to VO?

Thanks for your response...

Most of my courses in MS do have labs/projects that required programming knowledge. Moreover, i do have 5 yrs exp in IT from the time i graduated. will it be enough to justify or do i need to write any certifications ?

Did you have courses about IT? If yes, how many credits out of your total credits during MS? I am not sure experience in IT is going to help you.

1) Was your H1B filed using your Master's degree? If it was filed on the basis of your Bachelor's degree and your Bachelors degree was in computer science, then you have no problem.

2) Assuming your H1B was filed based on your Master's degree, the next thing to be considered is - what kind of software do you work on? If you develop software for the electrical industry or you work on software that 'somehow' touches the area you specialized in while doing your masters, then you should have no problem (you'll have to explain the relationship to the VO). For example, I know someone who has a Masters in Nuclear Engineering (some of his courses were on reducing power loss while power is being transmitted). Today, he works in the power industry and basically writes software dealing with power optimization. 

I too have similar question. My masters is in Bio Technology and I have DBMS as one of the subject and I currently work as an ETL Developer /SQL Developer as an IT Consultant.

I was not sure about approval but when I applied for my H1B Uscis has approved my H1B based on My Masters itself.

I wonder how VO at Visa Consulate treats this scenario when I go for stamping.

or should i go back and try my core jobs in my field on bio tech? any body in a similar boat?

Any suggestions for this scenario on the approval or rejection basis??? 

I too have similar question. My masters is in Bio Technology and I have DBMS as one of the subject and I currently work as an ETL Developer /SQL Developer as an IT Consultant.

I was not sure about approval but when I applied for my H1B Uscis has approved my H1B based on My Masters itself.

I wonder how VO at Visa Consulate treats this scenario when I go for stamping.

or should i go back and try my core jobs in my field on bio tech? any body in a similar boat?

Any suggestions for this scenario on the approval or rejection basis??? 

It will be tough to get a stamping as your education is nowhere related to your work. Just doing one related course will not get a H1B approval for you.

That's actually irrelevant.

The Masters degree could be in any field to get into the H1 Advanced Degree quota.

Either the bachelor or the masters of course would have to be in the field of work.

Yes My Bachelors was also into Biotechnology how ever I had DBMS and computer related subjects as part of one semester

Dear Vishchakri, i saw your post and would like to clear some things best to my knowledge. I dont think your degree decides your h1b stamping, although you can expect that question from visa officer, especially in canada on the lines of how is your degree related to the present job.... You have to answer the officer in a convincing way, it is similar to how your company creates your profile and shows they need your skills for the job you are doing when they apply for your H1B or it is as simple as how you do when interviewing for a job.

In canada, you can expect that question, because it is the basis for stamping in Canada. They have to consider your education, as you are a third country national. All that matters is your company hired you, obviously they think your skills are relevant to them, as IT is more an analytical job it is easy for non-IT related degrees with some degree of analytical skills to get employment and it is a well known fact :). Good luck!

Dear Vishchakri, i saw your post and would like to clear some things best to my knowledge. I dont think your degree decides your h1b stamping

Yes, it does.

For an H1, the person has to have a degree in the specialty the person is working in. That's in the immigration law.

If a person doesn't have such a degree, 3 years of relevant experience in the field can be substituted for 1 year of a 4-year bachelor degree, so if the person doesn't have any degree in the field, the person would need 12 years of relevant experience in the field.

Did anyone know the real cases where a person got rejected h1 b visa due to non CS major in Canada ?

i have seen many people (non CS major), who got their H1 B approved in canada....

After reading the few posts above, it gives impression that non CS majors, will be rejected straight away... or you are trying to convey that there are chances for rejections.....

Did anyone know the real cases where a person got rejected h1 b visa due to non CS major in Canada ?

i have seen many people (non CS major), who got their H1 B approved in canada....

After reading the few posts above, it gives impression that non CS majors, will be rejected straight away... or you are trying to convey that there are chances for rejections.....

I would say there are chances of rejection

Charkri, according to rules H1 candidate should have degree or prior exp directly related to that field. But what you have said is true

USCIS has approved H1's for non CS major also.Why?? Their are many reasons for that,since each H1 is a different case. 

Archived