L1B to F2 for Spouse

knambiar

Hi,

I am currently on F1 visa, and would be completing my masters in software engineering by Dec 2013. I have also applied for my OPT. 

My wife is currently working on L1B, and recently got an extension till Aug 2014 (which completes her 5 years on L1B). We are planning to convert her visa to F2. 

My question is: 

1. Can she stop working as soon as her F2 COS receipt number comes? Or does she have to work till F2 gets approved. 

2. What would be considered a good reason for this COS to be put in the cover letter to USCIS?

Awaiting your replies. 

Thank you

Regards,

Krishna.

Hi,

I am currently on F1 visa, and would be completing my masters in software engineering by Dec 2013. I have also applied for my OPT. 

My wife is currently working on L1B, and recently got an extension till Aug 2014 (which completes her 5 years on L1B). We are planning to convert her visa to F2. 

My question is: 

1. Can she stop working as soon as her F2 COS receipt number comes? Or does she have to work till F2 gets approved. 

2. What would be considered a good reason for this COS to be put in the cover letter to USCIS?

Awaiting your replies. 

Thank you

Regards,

Krishna.

(1) As long as a receipt number is generated and a decision is pending she is on legal status in US. She can work till a decision is made.

(2) The reason is what you have in your mind.

Hi 

Thank you jairichi for the answer. 

For the first question, our doubt was if she can stop working as soon as the receipt number comes. 

And one more question, her uncle (a us citizen) is ready to sponsor her for the F2.. Would it be better to show our own funds or to show sponsorship?

Thank you

- Krishna.

Hi 

Thank you jairichi for the answer. 

For the first question, our doubt was if she can stop working as soon as the receipt number comes. 

And one more question, her uncle (a us citizen) is ready to sponsor her for the F2.. Would it be better to show our own funds or to show sponsorship?

Thank you

- Krishna.

I believe she can stop working based on receipt number as she will be considered in status till USCIS takes a final decision on her COS. Ask her employer's attorney too. 

An F2 is a dependent on F1, which is you. She needs your support and documents and not her uncle.

Archived