Fulltime job on CPT - effect on greencard processing

kanth1234

I'm in my last semester and short of 3 units to graduate and my school offers full time CPT with which I can earn the required credits of 3 units. I heard that it is safe to take an intern position while on CPT rather than employee position. If I take up a full time employee position with a company, does it effect on green card processing?. Please advice me on this.

Thanks

Ram..

I'm in my last semester and short of 3 units to graduate and my school offers full time CPT with which I can earn the required credits of 3 units. I heard that it is safe to take an intern position while on CPT rather than employee position.

That's correct. If you are left with 3 units then that should be your project, if I am right then talk to your school DSO and make sure you are not breaking any rules by working in CPT.

Which school is this? Is the CPT a required part of the curriculum? Is there an cooperative agreement between the school and your employer? Is the job location close to the school so that you can work and attend classes? Consider all these questions. When you apply for OPT or change of status in future USCIS will look at all these and more things very closely.

Well I guess in this case OP is taking this internship as his/her graduate project. So this should be the part of curriculum. Am I wrong??

Hmm, the OP did not say that it was a "graduate project."

It seems to be an optional thing. And that's why it can't be done with CPT. It would have to be pre-completion OPT.

Archived