US Visa violation question

vissu220985

Sir,

I got my H1 approved this year and planning to go to India for H1 stamping. While I am filling the visa application, I encountered a question where in I am not sure what to select. Here is the question:

Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a U.S. visa? 

If yes, explain.

The reason I am not sure is:

When I was pursuing Masters at LSU, I went on part time thinking that I would graduate that semester but unfortunately due to equipment incompatibility (was doing thesis at that time) I wasn't able to complete Masters and wasn't able to graduate. One of the lady at LSU's ISO (International Students Organization) told me that it resulted in F-1 violation and they have applied for my F-1 reinstatement. Meanwhile, they have issued me a temporary I-20. All of this has happened in December, 2009. I got my F-1 reinstatement in March, 2010. And I graduated in Dec, 2010. 

My question is should I say Yes and give the same reason I mentioned above or since I got my F-1 reinstated and I have my temporary I-20 during that period, should I say NO. Your help is highly appreciated.

Vishwanadh

• 1 year later...

Archived