US consulates and US Degree

Ricky27

Hello Experts,

I am planning to visit INDIA after a long time(>5 yrs)  and hence i need to go for VISA stamping.

I spoke to my attorney to find out if it would be better if i can goto US Consulates in Canada or Mexico.

He said that its better to go to US consulate in INDIA as i don't have any US degree(MS or BS) and that US consulates in Mexico or Canada give preference for any US degree holders.  I did all my education in INDIA only.

Q) Can anyone tell me if  there such thing like the US Consulates in Canada or Mexico give preference to the person who has done his masters in US?

Q) Pls suggest if its better to go to  Mexico or Canada or INDIA for stamping

Thanks

Ricky

Hello Experts,

I am planning to visit INDIA after a long time(>5 yrs)  and hence i need to go for VISA stamping.

I spoke to my attorney to find out if it would be better if i can goto US Consulates in Canada or Mexico.

He said that its better to go to US consulate in INDIA as i don't have any US degree(MS or BS) and that US consulates in Mexico or Canada give preference for any US degree holders.  I did all my education in INDIA only.

Q) Can anyone tell me if  there such thing like the US Consulates in Canada or Mexico give preference to the person who has done his masters in US?

Q) Pls suggest if its better to go to  Mexico or Canada or INDIA for stamping

Thanks

Ricky

Your attorney is correct, if you check their website you will get the info.

Typically, border immigration posts advice people to return to their home country for H1B visa applications. The theory is that the immigration officials in your home country are more conversant with the degrees/certificates awarded and can evaluate it better.

In my own case, my undergrad degree was from my home country while my masters degree was from the US. However, since my company filed for my H1B before I graduated (which means I hadn't received my Masters) they used my Bachelors degree in the filing. I did both of my visa stamping in Canada. For my first stamping, the VO asked where I did my masters. During my second stamping, no question was asked about my degree

The whole thing is that consulates in third countries can't really determine if the degree is legitimate if it isn't from the US.

Consular officers in Canada or Mexico (or, say, in the UK) don't know if the university you attended is a real university. The consular officers in India would know about Indian universities.

Archived