H1B stamp on old passport

ni2vivek

Hi All,

My passport is going to expire in Jul 2014 but I need to appear for H1B stamping this month.

What will be the best option?

1. Shall I get a new passport and get it stamped?

2. Shall I get my old passport Stamped and travel with a old and new one?

3. Shall I get old passport stamped and travel , apply for a new passport in US.

Thanks

Vivek

Hi All,

My passport is going to expire in Jul 2014 but I need to appear for H1B stamping this month.

3. Shall I get old passport stamped and travel , apply for a new passport in US.

Thanks

Vivek

I believe this is is your first H1B stamping and your start date is Oct 1st 2013. As you are already running out of time best option is to get a visa stamped with old passport. Apply for a new one and get one before you travel to US. Show both passports at port of entry and get an I94 based on your new passport.

Hi All,

Thanks

Vivek

During the time of interview, your PP should be valid for at least 6 months and in your case you are good to go. Once you land in US you can apply for your new PP.

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the reply.

My question is if I will travel with the old passport (expires -jul 2014) then till what date I will get my I-94 at port of entry?

My understanding is I will get till jul 2014 only and extention of I-94 is same as applying for new H1B?

Please help

Thanks

Vivek 

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the reply.

My question is if I will travel with the old passport (expires -jul 2014) then till what date I will get my I-94 at port of entry?

My understanding is I will get till jul 2014 only and extention of I-94 is same as applying for new H1B?

Please help

Thanks

Vivek 

Yes, you'll get I-94 till Jul 2014. However, you can apply for new PP once you're in US and then cross either Canada or Maxico border and come back again with both passport. You'll get new I-94 based on your I-797 approval dates. DO NOT FORGET TO BRING OLD PASSPORT WHICH HAS VISA STAMPED. 

Archived