F1 to H1b without OPT

ani_rudha

Hi,

My standing:

• I got my H1b Approved recently. The start date of my H1b is October 1, 2013.
  • I am still on F1 student visa (I am not graduating anytime soon). My Sevis also indicates a change of status.
  • My fall semester starts today August 27, 2013.

My Question:

• Do I have to register for fall semester? Even though i know i will drop my classes on october 1.
  • My School's international office says that i need not register they will keep me in status. Can they do that? Do they have athority to do that? Is there a law that allows them to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My standing:

• I am still on F1 student visa (I am not graduating anytime soon). My Sevis also indicates a change of status.

My Question:

• Do I have to register for fall semester? Even though i know i will drop my classes on october 1.
  • My School's international office says that i need not register they will keep me in status. Can they do that? Do they have athority to do that? Is there a law that allows them to do that?

Thanks in advance.

I believe if you do not register you are out of status. 

Hi,

My standing:

My Question:

Thanks in advance.

If you don't register, then what will be your status from today to Oct 1st??

If you can take a break or if your college doesn't object you can do it, i did that in the past i waited for 1month without registering for the semester, if your college can allow you to wait i hope it is not a problem, only should be concerned of is your sevis should be active, if it is there wont be a problem

Hi ani_rudha,

I am in the same boat as you. I havent finished my degree (have my thesis left) but joining full-time from Oct 1. 

You can ask your DSO in the international office to apply for H1B Cap-Gap which maintains your F1 status till Sep 30 (this is probably what they mean by 'we will keep you in status.').

I am currently on cap-gap and my H1B lawyer told me as well that I do not have to be enrolled for Fall. 

BTW, how did you find that your SEVIS indicates a change of status?

Hope that helps!

Hi ani_rudha,

I am in the same boat as you. I havent finished my degree (have my thesis left) but joining full-time from Oct 1. 

You can ask your DSO in the international office to apply for H1B Cap-Gap which maintains your F1 status till Sep 30 (this is probably what they mean by 'we will keep you in status.').

I am currently on cap-gap and my H1B lawyer told me as well that I do not have to be enrolled for Fall. 

Hope that helps!

Cap-gap ONLY applies to people who have graduated.

Hi ani_rudha,

Hope that helps!

As far as my knowledge is concerned, CAP GAP is for graduated students not for current students. Correct me if I am wrong.

You can apply for Cap Gap even you havent graduated or not on OPT.

The only requirements for applying for CapGap extension are maintaining F1 status and having a pending/approved H1B change of status petition.

While it is more common for OPT students it also applies to students not on OPT.

Archived