Successful H1B stamping in Mumbai US Consulate (08/23/13)

a13920

Hello All, 

This forum has been very helpful to me to ask the right questions to my lawyer and to understand the H1B process since this was my first stamping experience.

I am on EVVC model and had no end client letter.  My end client had clearly stated that they don't give end client letters. I was very scared going without the end client letter and EVVC model but it had to be done, so I took the chance.  But for odds to be in my favor I had gathered as many documents I could, including letters from vendors stating the relationship between employer vendor client.

Here is the list of artifacts I had:

* Current Passport

* Old Passport

* DS-160 Confirmation

* Interview Appointment Letter

* LCA

* Form I-797

* Form I-129

* Employment Letter

* Email from my end client supervisor confirming I am on vacation for the given period and details of my supervisor, work location, name of project working, date started.

* Master Service Agreement and Purchase order between preferred vendor and end client

* Master Service Agreement and Purchase order between vendor and employer

* Vendor letter (from Vendor 1)

* Vendor letter (from Vendor 2)

* Master's Degree (Original & Photocopy)

* Master's Transcript (Original & Photocopy)

* Bachelor's Degree (Original & Photocopy)

* Bachelor's Transcript (Original & Photocopy)

* Photocopy of first page and last page and remarks page of Passport

* Pay Stubs (last 12 months)

* Income Tax Papers (W2)

* Income Tax Return (all years)

* Bank Statement (last 12 months)

* Updated Resume

* Name and contact information of 2 co-workers from past jobs

* Name and contact information of 2 co-workers from current place of employment

* A copy of H1B petition with all supporting documents as filled to USCIS

* Letter to the Consulate (provided by employer)

* Performance Review (last quarter review)

* Leave letter

* Vacation Notice

* Weekly Reports (last 2 months)

And here is my experience:

Day 1: Did fingerprinting at the OFC office, took me less then 30 minutes to go in and out, very quick.  Went inside, had security check.  Stood in a queue where they verified my passport and appointment letter, the staff placed a sticker on the back of my passport and put check marks on the appointment letter.  I waited for 2-3 minutes and was told to go to the appropriate counter for picture and fingerprinting.  Had picture taken and then finger prints.  That was it at the OFC.

Day 2: I dressed in semi business formals (suit, dress shirt, and formal shoes, no tie).  Arrived 30 minutes prior to my interview, went through security check and then waited outside under a shed where the seating was organized by the staff.  50 people were let inside every 20-30 minutes.  My interview time as per the appointment was 10 AM but I got inside the building around 11:30 AM.

Inside you get in another queue where a staff will check your passport and give you a token, once you receive the token you will go stand in another queue where another staff will verify your passport and fingerprints.  Once this is done, you will wait for your turn until your token no. is displayed on the monitor. My no. came and I went to the appropriate counter and here is the interview:

Me: Good Morning

Officer: Good Morning, how are you?

Me: I am good, how are you?

Officer: Very well, thanks. Your passport please. (Handed over both old and current passport.)

Officer: May I have your I-797?

Me: Absolutely (handed I-797)

Officer: Who do you work for?

Me: My employer is "X"

Officer: What does "X" do?

Me: (Explained the services provided by "X")

Officer: What's your position at "X"

Me: I am a "Role"

Officer: Are you married?

Me: I am "Marital Status"

Officer: What is your income?

Me: My income is greater than (amount mentioned in LCA)

Officer: Where do you live in the US?

Me: I live in "Location"

Officer: Have you received this pamphlet? (pointing to the 'Know your Rights' pamphlet) [this is where I knew i got the visa]

Me: Yes sir, I did.

Officer: Your visa has been approved, please collect your passport in 3-5 business days.

Me: Thank you sir, have a good day.

Officer: Thanks, you too. (returned the old passport, withheld I-797 and Current Passport)

Walked out of the embassy calm and without much expression, but from inside I was very happy.

Oh and here is my folder where I had all my documents organized:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9DQiE1bUl1hVXFsYUFtS3ktNWs/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks again to the members who respond here to the queries and comments, it really helps some of us prepare for the worst possible scenario. 

Good Luck to those going for Stamping!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

My interview was on last week of June 2013. Got 221g whiteslip from Mumbai consulate asking almost all documents from employer and my end. I had submitted document by first week of sept. 2013. I received email from consulate to submit passport, pending letters and envelop for final processing. I had submitted them first week Oct 2013. my case status was updated as "Issued"..... I am waiting on my passport for final confirmation...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived