Visa Approved @ Ottawa 22nd August 2013

unshaikh

Very simple interview:

I arrived at the location 25 minutes before my appointment. Checked in into the embassy.

My employer had given me the bottom portion of the I-797 and kept the original's top. I had assumed that was what the attorneys had recommended and luckily took a copy of that page for me before leaving. The usher on the door asked me to produce it before letting me in.

On the immediate right, window 7, was where we got out check-in tokens.

After about 20 min, I got called to counter 6 for finger prints.

After another 20 minutes, got called for the interview.

VO: How long have you worked at xx?

Me: x yrs full time, x yrs internship.

VO: Do you have student visa?

I gave him previous passport with the visa.

VO: What does your company do?

Me: Brief/vague explanation of my company

VO: What do you do there?

Me: I am a 'job title'

VO entered information in computer and set you are all set. Track your status at this website next week to collect your passport..

P.S. Im from Pakistan

hi mansamf...im going to canada next week..

i have one I-94 attached to my passport and my new I-797....should I surrender both of these or just the one attached to my passport??

thank you..

This is really strange. I thought one must show original i-797 for the visa interview. you are really lucky to get a visa without original i-797.  bottom portion of the I-797 is the status document (i-94 ) you need to surrender when you go out of US.

hi mansamf...im going to canada next week..

i have one I-94 attached to my passport and my new I-797....should I surrender both of these or just the one attached to my passport??

thank you..

Tpk and mansamf, i94 and i797 are different documents. You surrender i94 on departure from US, not the 797. The bottom portion is the actual 797 (it even says detach and keep THIS portion for record), the top portion is the approval message.

Long story short, tpk you have to submit i94 but not i797 on departure

Tpk and mansamf, i94 and i797 are different documents. You surrender i94 on departure from US, not the 797. The bottom portion is the actual 797 (it even says detach and keep THIS portion for record), the top portion is the approval message.

Long story short, tpk you have to submit i94 but not i797 on departure

unshaikh : Just to clarify you top portion is called i-797 and it contains the approval notice. This is the main document need to keep with you. bottom portion is called i94 and it is the actual status  document. when you enter US you will received this or if you are already in US and renewing your H1b you will get the same ( i-94 on the passport) extended and given to you as part of  i -797 renewal. This should be detached and stick to the passport. however most of the people don't do that. 

When you traveling from US to any country other than canada/mexico (contiguous country)  you need to surrender  i-94 on the passport. Remember it is the as same as bottom portion of i-797 ( both has same number). When you come back to US you will get a new one with a different number. in this case old one (bottom portion of i-797) become  invalid.   

When you are going to canada or mexico for a short trip ( exclude visa stamping) less than 30 days you don't surrender your i-94 and come back with same i-94.

Good and interesting things is  if your US visa is expired still you can goto canada/mexico for a pleasure trip and come back within 30 days without a new US visa. ( read auto re-validation of i-94)

2 business days.

Interview was on Thursday, I got the email Monday evening. As a matter of face somebody had recommended that appointment should be preferably taken in the beginning of the week so that you dont have to spend money at a hotel for the weekend if you are looking for a short trip.

mansamf: Thanks for letting me know about the leniency on shorter trips to CA or Mexico, I was not aware of that!

Archived