Full Time CPT Affect on OPT

mahmoodmd2007

Hi All,

I have started my full time CPT on December 17 2012. Had few gaps in CPT because of holidays from 14th May to 28th May and 7th August to 22nd August.... Apart from these periods I was on CPT all the time. When I asked for CPT authorization for this Fall 2013 My International Office Advisor said if I do Full time CPT in this Fall 2013, I will be no longer eligible for OPT since I would have used 12 months of full time CPT. Is this true ? So are the gaps also counted, if I end my CPT on December 7th or so will it still be considered as 12 months....

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pretty much all CPT is nowadays a career killer, due to abuse by shady so-called universities.

Care to tell us which university this is?

If you have taken CPT for a year, you can not get OPT. At least that's something the DSO seems to know.

JoeF, thank you for giving genuine information.

My university is a state university and is a accredited university. But I just had a question and I hope to get an answer. This question is purely to improve my knowledge.

I know a friend from my university who defended his dissertation, but didn't submitted a written copy to the graduate school. So officially he is not graduated. He worked as an intern during the summer on CPT and requested DSO to extend CPT. Initially DSO rejected to extend the CPT and informed that Fulltime CPT cannot be granted during the Fall and Spring semesters. However, later DSO granted fulltime CPT until December as the student questioned DSO by showing another case (different university). Then the student applied for OPT starting from Dec.

With this strategy, it is easy for any student to start working for the company on CPT while waiting for OPT approval (which takes 3 months). But what about genuine students who cannot start work immediately due to OPT processing times, even though they have offer letter

My questions are: 1) can a student work on fulltime CPT away from campus with registering dissertation credit? 2) Can I trust my DSO's knowledge on F1 rules?

Hmm, for work as summer intern, there is pre-completion OPT.

CPT is ONLY for work as integral part of the curriculum.

As I said, avoid CPT. It is going to create problems later, in particular if it is issued in error as seems to be the case that you described.

Hi All,

I have started my full time CPT on December 17 2012. Had few gaps in CPT because of holidays from 14th May to 28th May and 7th August to 22nd August.... Apart from these periods I was on CPT all the time. When I asked for CPT authorization for this Fall 2013 My International Office Advisor said if I do Full time CPT in this Fall 2013, I will be no longer eligible for OPT since I would have used 12 months of full time CPT. Is this true ? So are the gaps also counted, if I end my CPT on December 7th or so will it still be considered as 12 months....

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

You mentioned you had few gaps on CPT. What does that mean? Did you work that time? 

On your I-20 in the 3rd page, does it mentions that you were not in CPT during those period (i.e, from 14th to 28th may and from 7th august to 22nd August). If I-20 mentions that you were on CPT during that period. You can't go more than 12 months. Infact, its better to take a leave after 11 months. 

My suggestion would be, why don't you work part time in the Fall 2013, Since you are graduating next semester. And, Part time doesn't affect your future OPT. You can work 2-3 years on part time CPT and you will be still eligilbe for future OPT. 

Hope it helps. 

JoeF, thank you for giving genuine information.

My university is a state university and is a accredited university. But I just had a question and I hope to get an answer. This question is purely to improve my knowledge.

I know a friend from my university who defended his dissertation, but didn't submitted a written copy to the graduate school. So officially he is not graduated. He worked as an intern during the summer on CPT and requested DSO to extend CPT. Initially DSO rejected to extend the CPT and informed that Fulltime CPT cannot be granted during the Fall and Spring semesters. However, later DSO granted fulltime CPT until December as the student questioned DSO by showing another case (different university). Then the student applied for OPT starting from Dec.

With this strategy, it is easy for any student to start working for the company on CPT while waiting for OPT approval (which takes 3 months). But what about genuine students who cannot start work immediately due to OPT processing times, even though they have offer letter

My questions are: 1) can a student work on fulltime CPT away from campus with registering dissertation credit? 2) Can I trust my DSO's knowledge on F1 rules?

Is that student graduating in december 2013 or already graduated? 

Once you apply for OPT , you need to wait before you get an approval. so, its better to apply early before you graduate. So that, you know ahead of time. You can apply OPT before 90 days of graduation. Processing time for OPT takes around 70 days. 

So, you can apply atleast 2 &1/2 months before graduation and be on a safe side. 

Hope that helps.

DSO knowledge can be trusted but it depends. Some DSO are highly informative while some of them lack something. Its better to do some research on your own. 

I know a friend from my university who defended his dissertation, but didn't submitted a written copy to the graduate school. So officially he is not graduated. He worked as an intern during the summer on CPT and requested DSO to extend CPT. Initially DSO rejected to extend the CPT and informed that Fulltime CPT cannot be granted during the Fall and Spring semesters. However, later DSO granted fulltime CPT until December as the student questioned DSO by showing another case (different university).

The reason for granting full time CPT in his case is , your friend has finished all the course work except dissertation. So he doesn't need to go to school. This is my guess.

My suggestion would be, why don't you work part time in the Fall 2013, Since you are graduating next semester. And, Part time doesn't affect your future OPT. You can work 2-3 years on part time CPT and you will be still eligilbe for future OPT. 

Master's program takes two years to finished. So their is no way that a CPT work which is part of F1 takes 2-3 yrs. I think you just mentioned as an example

Master's program takes two years to finished. So their is no way that a CPT work which is part of F1 takes 2-3 yrs. I think you just mentioned as an example

I am talking about an undergraduate program. I didn't know that op was talking abt a graduate program. 

Best solution is : why to take a risk, go for a part time and don't work more than 20 hrs/week for 3/4 months and you are all set to go!!!!

I am talking about an undergraduate program. I didn't know that op was talking abt a graduate program. 

Best solution is : why to take a risk, go for a part time and don't work more than 20 hrs/week for 3/4 months and you are all set to go!!!!

The best solution is to avoid CPT!

The kind of CPT use discussed here is a career killer, and can result in a ban.

There is legitimate CPT, but it is very rare, and it has to be as integral part of the curriculum.

Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update and clarify various things. Our university is a recognized government state university. Since I had gaps in my CPT for like 20 days before, my DSO gave me the permission to do CPT until December 7th so my cumulative time would be 11 months on CPT. And for your information Joe, I can guarantee that its a legitimate CPT since I have to register for a co-op course every semester for taking the CPT and I am also getting credit hours for that. My DSO is very strict, she didn't allow many of my friends for full time CPT since they were not in their last semester unlike me.

Thanks.

The best solution is to avoid CPT!

The kind of CPT use discussed here is a career killer, and can result in a ban.

There is legitimate CPT, but it is very rare, and it has to be as integral part of the curriculum.

I donot agree completely with joeF. 

You got an internship with X company during summer. Company loved your work and would like to hire as a part time during the semester. College provides part time CPT as a Co-Op program. 

If X company is ready to sponsor you and you are doing all legal work, how could we avoid that CPT. Its easy to say but hard to preform in practical. 

What if you reject that offer and wait until graduate and couldn't find one in future? 

My opinion is why would you reject the offer where sponsorship companies are rare to find these days? 

Yea, there is a Pre - OPT. But, Pre-Opt takes same 90 days of processing time, and what if we dont have that much time? 

Part-time CPT would not affect you at all if they go under some deep research at all. 

And yea, it is a part of your curriculum. What if you are studying management control and you got a job under management control system. Doesn't it mean that its a part of the curriculum. 

You are able to use in a practical life what you have learnt at school. And, I believe it is just legal. 

You got an internship with X company during summer. Company loved your work and would like to hire as a part time during the semester. College provides part time CPT as a Co-Op program. 

Of course you can do that. But make sure that it's still part of your F1 program.

If X company is ready to sponsor you and you are doing all legal work, how could we avoid that CPT. Its easy to say but hard to preform in practical. 

What if you reject that offer and wait until graduate and couldn't find one in future? 

My opinion is why would you reject the offer where sponsorship companies are rare to find these days? 

Yea, there is a Pre - OPT. But, Pre-Opt takes same 90 days of processing time, and what if we dont have that much time?

Because that's immigration rule. If a person wants to work he/she should take permission from USCIS and hence it takes sometime. Just like H1 you file it in Apr but can't work before Oct 1st.

And if you think that it's not fair that's fine, but don't abuse CPT.

I donot agree completely with joeF. 

Part-time CPT would not affect you at all if they go under some deep research at all. 

And yea, it is a part of your curriculum. What if you are studying management control and you got a job under management control system. Doesn't it mean that its a part of the curriculum. 

You are able to use in a practical life what you have learnt at school. And, I believe it is just legal. A

Working in a related field is NOT the same as a required part of the curriculum.

For OPT, it is fine to work in a related field. For CPT, that's NOT enough. For CPT, the work has to be an integral part of the curriculum, for example, a required internship.

For a summer internship that is not a required part of the curriculum, pre-completion OPT is the right way, the only way.

And lots and lots of people have done and are doing pre-completion OPT. It is not hard, it is practical.

Abusing CPT is a cereer killer, it will lead to lots of problems later on.

Of course you can do that. But make sure that it's still part of your F1 program.

Because that's immigration rule. If a person wants to work he/she should take permission from USCIS and hence it takes sometime. Just like H1 you file it in Apr but can't work before Oct 1st.

And if you think that it's not fair that's fine, but don't abuse CPT.

Exactly, it is part of your F-1 program. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a management major can do a part time cpt if it is related what he have been studying at school. 

Regarding the op, you said you have few gaps during summer. however, I would suggest to stop working CPT in the month of november and stay on a safe side. Why would you like to risk yourself in future? USCIS might count as a number of days or they might count as a month as well. If they count as a month wise, your opt might get declined since december 2012 - december 2013 is a 12 month period. DSO might be unaware of that as well.

If I were you, I would ask for a offer letter from the company until november and request them to give a month of leave (For december). Apply OPT on late september. By november, you will get a opt result. And, then start work from december after you graduate. 

Or, From november get a offer letter mentioning part time and you can work part time cpt until you graduate. But, Do not risk yourself from declining OPT since you already have your job fixed. A extra pay check for a month might destroy your career. 

Hope it helps. 

And, Co-Op program doesnt give you any credit, it just give you a letter grade and you can view them in your transcript if I am not wrong. 

Exactly, it is part of your F-1 program. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a management major can do a part time cpt if it is related what he have been studying at school.

Hmm, no. For CPT, the job has to be an integral part of the curriculum. It is NOT enough that it is just "related" to the field of study.

Related to the field of study is fine for OPT, it is NOT fine for CPT.

No that's not enough. That should be the part of your degree which means that is treated as course work( practical). Hence the name CPT.

Hmm, no. For CPT, the job has to be an integral part of the curriculum. It is NOT enough that it is just "related" to the field of study.

Related to the field of study is fine for OPT, it is NOT fine for CPT.

So Joef, What is CPT for ?  Integral part of the curriculum!!! What does that mean ? Take CPT as a 3 credit course which is required for graduation. I don't think that applies for undergraduate students. 

So Joef, What is CPT for ?  Integral part of the curriculum!!! What does that mean ? Take CPT as a 3 credit course which is required for graduation. I don't think that applies for undergraduate students. 

Yes that's correct. As I said earlier, it is treated as course work( but practical work). And it applies for any program.

It is a very rare situation.

There are a few programs that require an internship to apply the knowledge learned in class. Very rare, but it exists at some universities.

In such situations, the university will work with each student who is enrolled in such a program individually. In other words, every student in the program would be required to do an internship.

And such things are not advertised, they are incidental to the program.

An internship that is not required, but merely "recommended" or related to the course of study would have to be done with pre-completion OPT.

Archived