I-94 Parolee requirement for FAFSA or universities Financial Aid

jnarasimha

We are lawfully present noncitizens that have:
1.AOS (Adjustment of Status) filed I-485 Application to adjust to Permanent Resident Status.
2.Valid Alien Registration Number.
4.Valid approved Advanced Parole I-512L Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the USA
5.Valid approved Employment Authorization Card

I received the following information from  StudentAid@ed.gov when contacted.

“A student is considered an eligible noncitizen is he or she is lawfully present in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and must hold an Arrival Departure Record (I-94) or Departure Record (I-94A) with one of the following endorsements:

(1) "Refugee," (2) "Asylum Granted," (3) "Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)," (4) "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) or

(5) "Parolee." Under the "Parolee" endorsement, you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) that you are not in the United States for a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.”
URL : http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens
I don’t understand their (FAFSA and  many universities) intention of I-94 parolee requirement for non-citizens With an I-485 AOS application filed and pending ,who can remain in the US as an adjustment applicant even after the I-94 expires with an intention to become a permanent resident.
As it is a well known fact that unless a person who has a valid approved I-512L crosses the USA border and re-enters USA , he or she will not get an I-94 record showing "Parolee." So unless a person travels outside the US and reenters (and acquiring unnecessary expenses doing so),they will not have a stamp indicating that they are a parolee on their I-94. As such, it does not make sense to make the I-94 the lone acceptable form of verification for "Parolee" by universities or FAFSA.In fact I noticed at DHS URL
http://hcopub.dhs.state.mn.us/11_25_25.htm
that there are other acceptable forms of verification for parole including:
1.I-94 (Arrival/Departure Card) with a stamp displaying a grant of parole.
2.Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, or receipt from USCIS indicating filing of application.
3.Employment Authorization Document
4.Form I-512 Parole Authorization .
I strongly believe that the FAFSA office is making a honest mistake
Is there a way to resolve this so that FAFSA or universities will consider other forms of acceptable verifications also for Parolee as approved by DHS/USCIS.
What are your options and thoughts on this.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Archived