Weird Scenario

Superfrustrated

My wife enrolled in a for-profit university for a master's program when she was on H4 status. Last year she applied for a COS to F1. The COS approval got delayed and by the time it got approved she had only one course remaining. After completing the remaining course when she requested an OPT I-20 from the University, it refused to issue I-20 saying that the last remaining course was completely optional and is not a part of the curriculum. Of course, being a for profit university this was not mentioned anywhere. University argued that since my wife got an COS approval after completing all degree requirements, she is not eligible for OPT. Is the University's decision correct? If not, what are my wife's options to get an OPT I-20?

My wife enrolled in a for-profit university for a master's program when she was on H4 status. Last year she applied for a COS to F1. The COS approval got delayed and by the time it got approved she had only one course remaining. After completing the remaining course when she requested an OPT I-20 from the University, it refused to issue I-20 saying that the last remaining course was completely optional and is not a part of the curriculum. Of course, being a for profit university this was not mentioned anywhere. University argued that since my wife got an COS approval after completing all degree requirements, she is not eligible for OPT. Is the University's decision correct? If not, what are my wife's options to get an OPT I-20?

OPT is for F1 students, so when your wife completed all the course what's the use of doing COS to F1?? Just to enroll into OPT??

You can no force a university, any university, to allow OPT.

There is a minimum eligibility requirement in the law, but universities can have more stringent requirements.

And for-profits in particular, at least the legitimate for-profits, are nowadays very very careful, due to the massive abuse of the rules by shady for-profits or outright frauds like **** and others.

This is yet another reason why for-profit institutions should be avoided. It is always better to study at a public university (which are also cheaper.)

Archived