Visa Approved Aug 1 - Vancouver

solitude21

Thank you all for your comments and inputs.. I got my visa approved today at Vancouver and it was pretty straight forward.. below are some details that might help u..

1. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE CONSULATE early. You need to be there only 15 minutes prior to ur appointment time

2. There will be a line 15 minutes before outside, they will check your appointment letter, ds 160 confirmation, passport and I-797

3. There will be a quick security check to make sure you are not carrying any electronics, USB and sealed envolopes

4. You will be asked to stand in a line to go to the second floor and they let about 4 to 6 people at a time.

5. There will be another security check on the second floor and you will be asked to join another line to get your token number. If your passport is more than three months old they might ask you to take another picture, it cost about $10

6. Once you get ur token you can have a seat and wait for your number to be displayed on the tv monitor for finger printing

7. Once you are done with that you need to wait for your token number to show up on the screen to go to the 20th floor

8. Security will assist you  to go to the 20th floor on the elevator

9. There will be another monitor that would list your token number on the screen and will make an announcement to which counter you are supposed to go.

10. Below are the questions that were asked in my interview... COunter # 4

Me: GM

VO: GM

Me: Handed over H1b, DS 160 confirmation and Passport

VO: What company do you work for?

Me: XYZ company

VO: How long you have been with this company

Me: XX years

VO: where is your company located

Me: ABC State

VO: your client?

Me: Same state

VO: When did you first come to the US

Me: MM YYYY

VO: DId you leave the country before for stamping

Me: Yes..twice

VO: Why did you come to vancouver?

Me: Visiting and tourism

VO: You have a masters in a non-IT field do you have any certification?

Me: Yes I do 

VO: give me your copy of H1b petition and paperwork

Me: Handed over I-129 and LCA

VO: Reviewed the doc for a couple mins and said ur visa is approved..

Me: Thank you and have a good day..

Overall - its an easy process if you have all the paper work available. Heard that there is one lady who is drilling a lot of questions, but not heard of any refusals. It took me about one hour from the time i entered to come back!

GOOD LUCK!

My masters was in civil engg.. if you can explain that your experience/skill set helped you for a IT job you should have no issues

So If I could let vo know that my training on a particular IT tool and certification helped me for a IT job. Will that suffice his question? or the Masters major has to be related to the job I am doing?

Archived