H4-F1, husband's I-140 approved

Madhu580

Hi,

I am currently on H4. I got my admission to pursue Master's for Fall 2013.  I need suggestion about my Visa transfer.

Though I am on H4, I cannot apply for residency, as it needs a 12 month stay in the current state but we moved just recently. If I apply for F1, I believe it is going to take almost a semester to materialize. And above all, my husband's I-140 is approved with prority date around Feb 2011 but no clue when it will become current. So my questions are:

1.  Do I need to go for stamping when transferring my H4 to F1?

2.  If I transfer my Visa to F1, how does a change in my husband's status effect my status?

3.  Will I be eligible to apply for assistantship just with my I-20 and proof of applying for F1?

4.  What are the chances of my F1 getting approved? If its rejected, what will be my VISA status?

5.  What will happen to my Visa status If I have to travel to India?

6.  If I start my Master's with H4, can I apply for F1 anytime later? What are the restrictions? and What

documents are needed?

Shall I continue with H4 or transfer to F1. What are the pros n cons?

I have been on H4 since a long time and I want to pursue my Master's with my own funding. So, please suggest what is good for my situation. Thanks much!!!

You will be denied the F1 visa at a consulate as you will be observed as having "intent to immigrate". You can change to F1 status if you do not plan to travel abroad till you get your own H1B otherwise better stick to H4. If you travel and get your F1 visa rejected,u can enter the country on H4 visa but then u will be back to square 1.

Archived