Confused H4 holder.. Suggestions needed

Divyaa

Hi All,

I am a H4 holder, tried applying H1 B this year but dint get through lottery.

I am little confused here as in what to do. 

1) Which is the course that is shortest and cheapest for obtaining a student visa ? 

2) Should I be in US for some minimum time period  on H4 before opting for student visa ? I have only been in US for 5 months now

3) I heard community colleges are cheaper than private colleges. Will they be providing F1 ?

4) Is it mandatory to do MS/MBA for getting Student visa ? If not, what are the other options I have ?

Can someone please clarify all the above questions..

My intention is to get a student visa quickly and convert it to OPT / H1 and start work soon :) :) 

1) Which is the course that is shortest and cheapest for obtaining a student visa ? 

2) Should I be in US for some minimum time period  on H4 before opting for student visa ? I have only been in US for 5 months now

3) I heard community colleges are cheaper than private colleges. Will they be providing F1 ?

4) Is it mandatory to do MS/MBA for getting Student visa ? If not, what are the other options I have ?

1. Their is no shortcut for obtaining student visa.

2.No need

3.Yes, but in order to qualify for H1 that degree should be from non profit and public univ.

4. You need to enroll as a full time student to get student visa.

My intention is to get a student visa quickly and convert it to OPT / H1 and start work soon :) :) 

If that's the case, then why don't you find a job and file H1?? Anyhow you have to wait till next Apr to file H1.

Overall, you intention is not correct. Remember, F1 is for student program and H1 is for work program, and to qualify for OPT you need to be a full time student on F1 for one year.

Hi All,

I am a H4 holder, tried applying H1 B this year but dint get through lottery.

I am little confused here as in what to do. 

A student visa is for STUDYING, not for finding work.

And for an F1, you have to have the intent to go back to your home country after finishing the degree.

I suggest that you rethink what you want to do. Don't enroll in a university when your intent is to work.

Community colleges do NOT provide advanced degrees but are the first 2 years of a 4 year degree.

OP,  You are free to return to your home country if working is so important to you. No one - even a native born US citizen - is guaranteed the opportunity to work in the US.

You are not going to get to work quickly on OPT; F1 is for STUDYING.  If you do not intend to do that, don't bother.

Archived