2nd Masters graduating May 2014. No OPT as it's my second MS so how to get H1B?

ppss

Hi,

This may be a very frequent question but I didn't find many people getting the required advice.

My case:

- MS graduate Dec 2010 from Texas, USA
- Applied OPT and was working as a volunteer researcher till July 2011
- Left to my home country, India
- Reapplied for another Master's degree (1 year program) and program starts Aug 2013
- Second master's ending May 2014

As this is my second master's and I have already applied for OPT years back, I read that I am not eligible for OPT.

So,
- Do I have a way to work in USA after completing my education in May 2014?
- As H1B application for Fall 2014 ended in April 15th this year, even if I have an employer while studying and apply for H1B in Apr 2014, I won't be able to have my H1B work day before October? As the grace period is for 2 months maximum after F1 expires
- Is there a way to stay in US (changing Visa to some other like B1/B2 or any other) so that I can start working in October if I get an H1B sponsor
- What if I skip a course and take that in another semester which will make my graduation a semester late and give me time to get my H1B work day in October?

Any other suggestion would help if I am missing something that could be taken into account.

Thank you,
Regards,
N

If your intention is to work in US, then why bother with another Masters Degree, it may render you over qualified for many jobs, trust me being over qualified with too many Masters has landed my friend in a very dicey situation and ended up not getting a job and then applying for PhD.

So, if your intention is to work in US, I would suggest apply for H1 next year and then come join the job in Oct 2014. Besides another Masters is not gonna come for free and what is so wrong in being in India for another year? You can find some work at home and have more experience on your resume to be able to land a nice Job in US.

Again this is just my opinion nothing legally stops you from doing a second Masters or 3rd for that matter.

Good Luck!

I do not understand why you do not work in your home country and get that experience while waiting for H1B visa.  Experience is often more valuable than a degree undertaken just to stay in the country that you promised to leave once you finished your studies.

Yes. That is quite true. Experience matters much more then acedemics.

The problem is,

- I have a business idea which I want to promote. Considering the type of networking and people I need for this, I need similar minded people for which university is the best place. It has all the resourses needed to get your ideas into life. Sadly, my current peers are not really interested in what I have and find it hard to understand it's potential. But I have few professors in University who expressed really good interest in my project and suggested me few points which I can use to excel and bring my idea to life. Just to be clear, I previously had electrical engineering degree and now would pursue technology management from University of ************ *************-********** which would benifit me by exposing to the business side of technical produts.

- But just to have a plan B if the idea takes too long to get be fully developed or even end up in scrap, I need to have something in hand as a backup. For which, I am considering to work for sometime in US. In indis I don't see much exposure to my idea so considering to shift to US.

Regarding filing H1B from India: Do you really think that this works? I don't see people geting into US just by applying from international location unless they are heavly experienced in their domain or have some exceptions background. Atleast I didn't come across anyone who got placed directly from India as a H1B.

I am sure my problem may not be specific, but still I think this do involve many people who want to work in US.The whole idea of 2nd master's is to build up network and use university resourses to interact with investors and present myself.

You may only work for a H1B employer doing his projects while in the US on H1B visa.

You may NOT work for your own company or promoting a business idea.

You realize that by including university faculty in the business, you are granting the university ownership rights to the idea.  It is a very common requirement that university faculty give the university the intellectual property rights to any inventions, patents, etc.

As a student, you may NOT do what you are proposing. You may work only on a very limited basis. Your plans have so many problems and illegalities that you are foolish to try it. And you have posted that you intend to work illegally on a public forum.

DO NOT COME PLAN TO USE A UNIVERSITY TO WORK ILLEGALLY IN THE US.

- What if I skip a course and take that in another semester which will make my graduation a semester late and give me time to get my H1B work day in October?

Any other suggestion would help if I am missing something that could be taken into account.

that will do it..do you have a new F1 visa?

Peers shooting down ideas is a well known problem..classic example is Edison Vs Tesla..

Even on H1, you can enroll in part time Academic programs that will let you keep in touch with open minded scholars..and I worked with atleast two schools in Texas that promote collaboration b/n tech enterprises and academics..

Your "Edison v. Tesla" analogy is wrong on many levels.

Edison had business interests. In some ways, he was rather like Bill Gates: Having an inferior product and making sure competition doesn't get ahead of him...

Tesla was working for Edison, before Edison ridiculed his idea and made Tesla his competitor...

Archived