Demonstrate a BS Degree is required for the job

stlorena

Hello.

I received an RFE for a work permit transfer. The case has been submitted under Premium Processing.

This is the 4th accounting company I transfer to within 4years and never before  did I have to submit any other documentation. What is funny is that I submmited pretty much the same package as before.

Now, they want a full description of duties and responsibilities - although it was already submitted in the Employer letter. They also want me to submit proof that the position requires a BS Degree. However, the mere statement of the employer does not suffice. What can one submit to make the case? A first thought was the FLC Data Center. Any other thoughts?

The USCIS wants to see that if the company employs other accountants, they require Bachelor's Degrees for those positions as well. They want to see copies of those Degrees!!!  This is absurd. My employer never requested those copies, and they won't ask their long trusted and working employees to provide them.

Did anybody go through something similar?

How did you go about it?

Thank you.

It is not absurd. Visa fraud is a significant problem. 

An employer would have most certainly asked potential employees for copies of their transcripts prior to hiring for a professional position requiring a degree. Many accounting positions o not require a BS/BA/BBA degree.

This is not YOUR problem. Your employer's attorney will assist him in answering. It is quite possible that you are overqualified for the job.

It is not absurd. Visa fraud is a significant problem. 

An employer would have most certainly asked potential employees for copies of their transcripts prior to hiring for a professional position requiring a degree. Many accounting positions o not require a BS/BA/BBA degree.

This is not YOUR problem. Your employer's attorney will assist him in answering. It is quite possible that you are overqualified for the job.

It is absurd. The very same company applied for me 4 years ago. Nothing changed in the structure of the company. If anything, back then I was more entry level than now. The position is the same. The employer's letter and job description is in broad lines the same. This is my 4th transfer, and never before was there a problem, although the companies were perfectly comparable.

When you say that many accounting positions do not require BS/BA, what do you base that statement on? Obviously, not the labor market. If you do a basic research across any governmental or private recruitment agency you will se that that in 99% of cases, a BS/ BA is required. This is an accounting position, not a clerk or a bookkeeper.

McDonalds is asking for a BA for a cashier position!

And it is very much my problem. In this tough labor market, an H-1B candidate is treading on very thin ice as is, without putting additional strain on his employer to provide tax returns and disclose other private and confidential information.

Archived