H1B: Amendment - Dependent Stamping

pritam34

I and my dependent wife have a H1B/H4B stamped visa till 18-Jan-2015 but did not travel to US. In the meantime i got a promotion and my employer filed a H1B Amendment (material change is only designation and salary) which got approved. Now my employer wants me to get my visa re-stamped due to the amendment, however my employer says my wife need not get her visa re-stamped. I would like to know if its okay for me to get re-stamped while she travels on the basis of her visa prior to the amendment. Is my employer correct?

Also if i re-stamp due to the amendment and consulate cancels my original H1B visa, my wife's visa will have a reference to my original H1B pettition number (the one prior to the amendment) will it be a problem for traveling her to US?

Please advice.

• 4 weeks later...

As a practice my employer is getting all H1B Amendments re-stamped for the primary applicant. Now my question is if i get my visa re-stamped and my old visa gets cancelled, will there be any problem during POE if my dependant is not getting her visa re-stamped? please note my dependant's visa will have the pettition file # of my cancelled visa. Please advice

As a practice my employer is getting all H1B Amendments re-stamped for the primary applicant. Now my question is if i get my visa re-stamped and my old visa gets cancelled, will there be any problem during POE if my dependant is not getting her visa re-stamped? please note my dependant's visa will have the pettition file # of my cancelled visa. Please advice

Looks like your employer is over cautious.

Yes, your dependents doesn't need new visa if the old one is still valid.

Archived