On F1 with CPT

atlantavijay

Dear All,

I come to US on a B1/B2 got it converted to F1. I am currently on CPT and would like to know would it be possible to work in Canada.

I want to apply for work permit in canada, kindly advise how to get this around. 

Thanks

CPT is given to work in US not in Canada.

Moreover CPT is part of F1 program. So are you still going to school or not??

I come to US on a B1/B2 got it converted to F1. I am currently on CPT and would like to know would it be possible to work in Canada.

If you use CPT, you have to continue to attend classes. That requires your physical attendance, i.e., you have to be in the US, and within commuting distance to the school.

Care to tell us which school this is, btw?

I have these weekend classes which I need to attend. So I could do travel from CAN to US once in a week. 

But if the employer agrees to do a work permit in CAN do I have to go to CAN to get it stamped or could I do it US.

Weekend classes?? This is suspicious. In general, universities doesn't have 'weekend' classes.

Yes, you need Canadian visa to work in Canada. But once you are out of US, that CPT doesn't make any sense.

Remember, USCIS considers it as misuse of CPT if that work location is too far away from University, since the student has to attend school during the CPT and in this case this is not possible.

I have these weekend classes which I need to attend. So I could do travel from CAN to US once in a week.

Hmm, a real university doesn't have weekend classes. They do classes during the week.

Care to tell us which university this is?

And are you really trying to tell us that you'd spend thousands of dollars (probably pretty much your whole salary) to fly to the US every week???

Again, you need to be in NORMAL commuting distance from the university.

If I get a work permit in CAN should I still be a student?  Also that is a college and not a university.

College and university are the same in this country. Both words are used interchangeably.

If you get an H1, you could study on the side, as long as you fulfill the H1 requirements, i.e., working for the employer according to the H1 terms.

atlantavijay - why wouldn't you tell what university you are attending? Why would you wanna go to Canada and work there? If you are on CPT you should be working in U.S. Maybe you should come back to India and look for a job in Canada.

it is just a small college in US, the reason why I want to go to CANADA is my family is in India and for them to come on a dependent on F1 they could not get the approval cause the coll is not good enough, then for me to apply for H1 wld take 1 yr and then for that to get approved wld take another 6 mnt. So wanted to chk if we cld go to CAN, I apply for a work permit to CAN and they come as dependents from India to CAN was the thought.

Need Suggestions please.

it is just a small college in US, the reason why I want to go to CANADA is my family is in India and for them to come on a dependent on F1 they could not get the approval cause the coll is not good enough, then for me to apply for H1 wld take 1 yr and then for that to get approved wld take another 6 mnt. So wanted to chk if we cld go to CAN, I apply for a work permit to CAN and they come as dependents from India to CAN was the thought.

Need Suggestions please.

Dude, if you want H1 then your degree has to be from accredited, non profit and public university. A degree from local private college is not eligible for H1.

All I am asking is ---IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A WORK PERMIT-- would you be able to help me get an answer to that question, rather than anything else.

Their are some rules in order to get 'WORK PERMIT' for students. And most of them are tied to the university which you attend, if you are so scared to tell the univ name, then something is wrong. Even if you approach some attorney, he will ask you the same question, what is the name of your university??

All I am asking is ---IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A WORK PERMIT-- would you be able to help me get an answer to that question, rather than anything else.

And ALL we are asking is to provide the necessary information to answer that.

If you, as it looks, went to a fake university, then NO, it would be unlikely to get any work permit.

That''s what wasting your money with a fraud gets you...

dude very simple..if you want a Work Permit then get a good reputable employer to file for your H1B...joining a college wont get you a Work permit.

please dont abuse the visa system here...future genuiune candidates would get affected by your abuse.

Archived