Transition of J2 to H1B

pareshchothe

Hi,

I am currently on J1 VISA and my wife is on J2. She is working with one company as she has EAD. My question is regarding the recent changes for J2 -dependents by USCIS. It is also posted on this website. http://www.murthy.com/2013/04/30/change-of-status-restrictions-for-j-2-spouse/. However, it has been mentioned that this new change (J2 can not chang status to H1B except H4) is applicable to J-2 spouses of Conrad 30 and other IGA waiver recipients. Does it mean that my wife who is also on J2 can not change her status to H1B ?

I am not IMG (International Medical Gradute). I am working as post doctoral fellow at University of XXXXX. USA. Could you please help me with this matter urgently as I am planning to apply for J1 Waiver soon. Thank you

Paresh Chothe

• 4 weeks later...

The limitations on change of status from J-2 to H1B have currently been reported for those individuals who are J-2 derivatives of J-1 nonimmigrants participating in graduate medical residencies and have been granted a waiver pursuant to the Conrad 30 program. The limitations have not been observed for others whose waivers are not based on Conrad 20 sponsorship, up to now.

Archived