COS to F1

goodgal1

hi

i have got admit to university for fall 2013. i am currently on h4 visa. i am planning to start my studies on h4 visa. But during january 2014 i am planning to start my COS to F!. i have read from articles that it might take app. 3 months or more to get decision. lets say i have got my conversion for F1 by april. By april can i look for internship? 

I am asking this because i have heard someone saying - to apply for internship or to work as asssistanship i should have atleast done a semester in F1 visa.Is it true?

From my understanding i cant work on H4.But when i get my F1 i can work in internship where did doing one semesterin F1 influence internship.

Please clear my confusion

regards

good gal

You need to speak with the DSO at your university.  You will get a better understanding of your rights and responsibilities in a one-on-one.  There will likely be an international student orientation session right before school starts that you should plan to attend as well. 

Assistantships are not guaranteed and are generally available only to  students deemed able to handle the assignments.  Internships are something entirely different.

thanks for the reply.But i need this info now for understanding how my options are. Its like I will be accepting admission to the university based on this or i am planning to defer my admit and start as F1 itself. Can someone shed some light on this topic? 

Your description (and likely understanding) of the assistantship and intership options are too vague and they vary by university. The specifics of the programs are important.  Generally, H4 verses F1 makes no difference. However, this may not be the case in your situation. The DSO or someone in that office should be willing to speak to you; they are generally very helpful to both enrolled and prospective international students.

i have got an admit for ms computer science in fall 2013.its too late for me to apply for f1 and get it changed and also i will going out of country this year and i dont want to get into complications of f1 stamping. so i was planning to apply for cos next year. my cousin advised me to apply for internship in summer in his company. So i wanted to clarify on the point.

My question is should i be studying atleast a semester in F1 visa to start my internship or start my internship as soon as i am in F1 visa.

sorry about the confusion on assistanship.

Archived