When to apply for NORI?

A12

Hi,

I am on J1 visa in US since two years and started with my third year in June 2013. I am planning to utilize all the five years of J1 visa before switching to H1 visa but still wanted to keep NORI in hand well before time.

Can I start my NORI processing now and get J1 visa extension until all the five years are utilized? I have heard from people that the processing for NORI takes a longer time and it is advisable to do this work well before time.

Thanks

If your j1 being extended anually, then you need to wait till you get your fifth year extension before getting waiver. If you already had 5 year DS then go ahead and apply.

In any case get letters of no objection from home country first, this will take long time. Once you have all three favorable letters in hand rest of waiver process takes only couple of months.

Please start the process as soon as possible. It takes a lot of time and authorities in India will test your patience. I made a mistake of not starting well in advance and now I am struggling.

when should I start the waiver process? ASAP. Unless you have strong reasons not to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If your j1 being extended anually, then you need to wait till you get your fifth year extension before getting waiver. If you already had 5 year DS then go ahead and apply.

In any case get letters of no objection from home country first, this will take long time. Once you have all three favorable letters in hand rest of waiver process takes only couple of months.

hello Jassi1239,

one urgent query:  I have DS 2019 which is going to expire in aug 2014. and the renewed one for 2014-2015, I will receive in aug 2014. my question is Can I send my NORI application (biodata and affidavit) to Indian offices now along with my present DS 2019 or should I wait for the new DS2019 (which will arrive in aug 2014) and send the application for stage II with the new DS 2019?

thanks in advance!

hello Jassi1239,

one urgent query:  I have DS 2019 which is going to expire in aug 2014. and the renewed one for 2014-2015, I will receive in aug 2014. my question is Can I send my NORI application (biodata and affidavit) to Indian offices now along with my present DS 2019 or should I wait for the new DS2019 (which will arrive in aug 2014) and send the application for stage II with the new DS 2019?

thanks in advance!

For Indian authorities DS2019 is irrelevant.

Archived