Stay in Canada while an F1 student doing thesis

confuscious

Hello,

I am having a complicated problem and wanted to share with you all to get some direction in this matter.

I am currently pursuing my Masters degree in USA. However, my husband is living in Canada. I only have 1 semester remaining for which I do not have any physical classes. It is only thesis work which I can complete remotely from Canada.

I am planning to stay in Canada for the remainder of my Masters degree and only come to the university for graduation.

The question that I have are:

• Do i need to let my international office know?
    • They might say you need to be on campus since you are an international student.

[*]What about my I-94?

• Do i give it to the airport people when i leave for Canada or keep it
    • Will the port officials say anything about me being a student and living in Canada for 3-4 months when i return to USA for my graduation?

Of course you have to update your info with the DSO. Discuss the implications with out of country with that individual. There are issues with the university since you are expected to be doing research and interfacing with your advisor.

Hello,

I am having a complicated problem and wanted to share with you all to get some direction in this matter.

I am currently pursuing my Masters degree in USA. However, my husband is living in Canada. I only have 1 semester remaining for which I do not have any physical classes. It is only thesis work which I can complete remotely from Canada.

I am planning to stay in Canada for the remainder of my Masters degree and only come to the university for graduation.

The question that I have are:

• Do i need to let my international office know?
    • They might say you need to be on campus since you are an international student. Yes, definitely let them know. I remember reading that a stay of more than 5 months in home country can affect our status but I think this was for those who were not registered (you are registered for your thesis course).

[*]What about my I-94?

• Do i give it to the airport people when i leave for Canada or keep it No, I'm assuming you have a valid F-1 stamp.
    • Will the port officials say anything about me being a student and living in Canada for 3-4 months when i return to USA for my graduation?

I think it makes more sense for you to go livfe with him for a month or so and come back

Archived