Are 2 OPTS for 2 Degrees on 1 F1 Visa possible?

huzaifa1990

Hi,

I have graduated with a Masters degree this spring, currently I am working on OPT. I am planning to take admission into Phd this fall and study on OPT until May 2014 then transfer to CPT and work full time for 1 more year until completion of my Phd in 2015.

My question is will I get a new OPT once I complete my Phd?

Also, Can I work full time on CPT for 1 more year without effecting my OPT after Phd?

Please let me know if you want me to explain it more clearly.

Thanks.

First, you can not study on OPT.

Second, you can not work on CPT while studying for a PhD.

CPT is NOT and has NEVER been for work in some arbitrary company. CPT is ONLY for work, e.g., in an internship, as integral part of the curriculum.

What you are trying to do is abuse of the CPT rules.

A PhD is hard work, you eat, sleep and drink your research 24/7.

Your prof is unlikely to understand immigration law requirements and is not qualified to make a determination as to whether your proposal is legal. A USC can do many things you cannot do. Do not try to determine if it is feasible based on what your boss does; he is unlikely to be an immigration expert either.

whether he is American or non American. Rules are the same for everyone.

Huh? OPT and CPT are only for foreigners on F1.

So, the rules ARE different for US citizens.

US citizens can work anywhere without restirctions, for one.

The bottom line is that the OP can NOT do what he tries to do.

Huh? OPT and CPT are only for foreigners on F1.

So, the rules ARE different for US citizens.

US citizens can work anywhere without restirctions, for one.

The bottom line is that the OP can NOT do what he tries to do.

Sorry, I misread the Original post.

I thought OP's boss wants him to work in CPT or OPT.

@t75 Exactly. That is why I am here. To know if I can do it. I somehow assumed I can work on OPT I guess. Basically it looks like I cannot do Phd on F1. How about H1b?

You can of course study while on H1, as long as you continue to fulfill the H1 obligations, i.e., working for the employer.

It would still be very hard, due to having both the work and study to do.

And often, PhD programs have requirements to work a few quarters as teaching assistant, which you wouldn't be able to do on H1.

You need to talk with the student affairs people at the university, not just with the professor.

There will be an international student office who is in the best position to advise on specific situations. In addition, be sure any proposal is cleared with the department chairman and the graduate school official (dean or vice president or ??? depending on the university). Although your advisor will approve your dissertation, the chairman and grad officer also have to approve what happens.

Individual faculty members want to be helpful but are not generally familiar with the rules that apply in special circumstances.

Archived