My experience at US Consulate, Chennai - H1B visa approval after pink slip (221G)

jairichi

Hi,

I would like to share my experience of H1B visa interview at US consulate, Chennai. I am working as a postdoctoral researcher in an US university and I had a COS from J1 to H1 when I was in US. On April 2013 I had to travel to India.

Date of biometric appointment: April 22nd 2013 @ 12PM

Be there 30 minutes before your appointment time. Going earlier than that is of no help as you will be standing outside under the shade of a tree or hot sun.

Have your passport ready with the print out of the email confirming your appointment for biometrics & visa and the confirmation page of submission of visa application (sent as an email)

Date of interview: April 23rd 2013 @ 10AM.

Same here. Be there 15 to 30 minutes before your appointment time.

Have your passport ready with the print out of the email confirming your appointment for biometrics & visa and the confirmation page of submission of visa application (sent as an email)

Waited for my turn to be interviewed by visa officer (VO)

Myself: Good morning. How are you doing?

VO: I am doing good. Thanks. How are you?

Myself: Doing great. Thanks.

VO: Can I have your passport and I797?

Myself: Sure. Here they are.

VO: (Has a look at them) What is your position at the University of --------?

Myself: I work as a postdoctoral researcher.

VO: Ok. What is the project you are working on?

Myself: (Explained to her my project in one sentence)

VO: What is your salary?

Myself: XXXXX USD.

VO: That's it. You are paid less. (After some time) Are you planning to take your wife with you?Myself: She is already in US.

VO: In what visa is she there in US?

Myself: H1B.

VO: Can I know her position or industry she works for?

Myself: Her position is xxxxx and she works in IT industry.

VO: Ok. (Takes the pink slip and writes in it) There is going to be some administrative processing involved to issue you a visa. Wait for some time, your number will be called again and approach the particular counter for further instructions.

Myself: Thank you and have a good day.

VO: Thanks and you too.

At counter number 31, I was asked for an updated resume which I submitted promptly. She gave me the pink slip and advised me to check for updates of my visa processing on US consulate @ Chennai website. No time limit was mentioned.

May 23rd 2013:

Morning: The update in website was visa issued.

Afternoon: Passport is ready for pickup.

Hope this information helps others.

Archived