ji visa waiver for computer science students from india

pritu

My son is an Indian passport holder, studying in Cambridge university UK on a student visa, has an USA visitor visa for 10 years.

He has been offered summer intern ship at Microsoft USA for 10 weeks starting July 2013 for which Microsoft will arrange for the visas.

He is studying Computer Science ( BA Hons) & is in his 2nd year of a 3 year course at Cambridge UK.

After finishing his intern ship in the USA, he has to return to UK to finish his 3rd year of studies.

He will be issued a J1 visa,

Kindly let me know whether the " 2 years of physical presence in home country " is applicable to him ,

coz computer science is mentioned on the master list of skills but is not on the Indian skill list. The Indian skill list mentions computer engg & not computer science.

if the condition is applicable then what are the chances of getting a waiver , have any comp sci students waiver appln been rejected till date ?

any advise on this issue is highly appreciated.

thanks

In 2001, I was in a similar situation. I was doing grad school in Europe and got a 6 month internship at telecom company in USA. I applied for J1 in Europe and got it without any issues and there was no home country residence requirement. Of course, I did have a letter from my department stating that my position was still open and they had granted me leave. I also had the European visa stamped for the next year.

Of course this was pre-9/11. Based on my experience I would say apply for J1. Be sure that you have relevant documents and a Visa for UK proving that e would return to UK after the completion of stay in USA.

All the best!

Archived