H-1B travel on a valid visa when on bench

prav18

Hi , I am on H-1B with a visa stamped on my passport from a previous employer. This visa is valid until Oct'2013. I am currently on bench with a new employer . My question is : Can I travel to India in June 2013 with my new employer's I-797 (valid until Feb'2014) and the valid visa from my old employer valid until Oct'2013? Do I need to go for visa revalidation or can I return with the new employer I-797 and the old employer visa? Thanks

Yes, you can re-enter US with your old valid H1B visa and new I797. But, what do you mean by saying "on bench with a new employer"? If you are not paid for that so called bench time I believe you are out of status and will be a problem for you later. I am sure experts in this forum will have the same question about your bench time

Yes, I am getting paid on bench. My employer said that he will pay me till the first week of June 2013. My employer stated that I can only return if I have a project (client) letter in hand. Is this correct? Can I return to the U.S and then look for a new project?

Yes, I am getting paid on bench. My employer said that he will pay me till the first week of June 2013. My employer stated that I can only return if I have a project (client) letter in hand. Is this correct? Can I return to the U.S and then look for a new project?

You might be asked for the Client letter, LCA and other documents at the POE...its better to avoid the trip on bench.

Archived